Cigars and Rum, How about Cuban Coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Endeavor, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

The President announced today that there will no longer be restrictions on importing of Cuban cigars or rum. Does anyone know if coins are or will be included in the lift?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

From what I'd read, it was merely easing the limits (old limit: $100 worth) on cigars (100 cigars) and rum (several bottles) for American citizens returning from a trip to the island (think filling your suitcase with them.) Did not see anything about coins there except (more generally) that only Congress can fully repeal the sanctions, and that it was less than likely with a Republican majority voting body (this last part seems to have been edited down from its first version, now saying President Obama can "sidestep" Congress with some measures.)

(For the mods: taken from the Reuters article and BBC article, not a statement of political endorsement)

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well seeing I love a damn good cigar OUTSIDE (as they all stink) and Rum with Cola (that eats your stomach walls) I'll go for it - can't live forever so might as well go out with a smile on your face!!

Damn Raul - set me up in a PM with them REAL cigars - LOL!!

Endeavor likes this.
  5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I can't believe that politicians born after 1960 are still so stodgy.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Sanctions have kept the Castros in power for over five decades. And whomever the next president is, will be a step back generationally as both main candidates are 70 years old.

7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The Ebay prohibition on selling Cuban coins is from the Ebay company not the President or the US Government.

:)

Endeavor and Hiddendragon like this.
  8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Yeah, like Willie said, I don't think the government cares if you sell Cuban coins. EBay just finds it easier to ban everything from Cuba than to have to make decisions about what's OK and what isn't. That's my theory anyway.

Endeavor likes this.
  9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

An commerce with Cuban goods, cigars, rum or coins, goes to and supports the communist Cuban regime not the Cuban people!

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I see many Cuba coins on Ebay for sale labeled "Caribbean". :cool:

serafino likes this.
  11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

EBay is full of Cuban coins, but since they can't be labeled as "Cuban" they are hard to search for, and eBay will occasionally remove the listings. I've had mine removed two or three times.

12. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Dominican Republic where I'm going next year has excellent cigars and rum. And you don't need a visa to get in, justa tourist card.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I've been there. Interesting country. You'll enjoy it.

Rushmore likes this.
  14. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Cuban coins are very common in Russia.

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Of course, with Russians visiting Cuba they take them back as souvenirs. Now with Americans visiting Cuba more Cuban coins will come here, albeit somewhat surreptitiously.

16. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I found a Cuban coin in a CoinStar machine reject bin in July 2016.

[​IMG]
    Cuba 10 Centavos 2013

As was proper and politically correct, the CoinStar machine rejected the coin.

:)

Santinidollar and Mad Stax like this.
  17. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

eBay as usual has broad-brushed its restrictions.
    The mere mention of Cuba in a title or description is cause for eBay to ban a listing.

I have some items (philatelic) that were produced in the US and had an overprint added saying CUBA.
    These items were produced by the US for use in Cuba during the US administration of Cuba (1898-1902) right after the Spanish-American War.
    They are US items.

Can I list them?
    eBay says "NO".

18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'd savor the chance to sample a Cuban cigar with a glass of top shelf Bourbon. :)

20. Doubledier

Doubledier New Member

Cuban cigars tend to be very strong, so be aware. Rum on the other hand is delicious.

21. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I found this in a farmhouse basement. Pillow made from a Cuba sugar bag from the Hershey Chocolate company. Not a coin, but really cool. I've been meaning to take it to a dry cleaners since I bought it a year and a half ago. Double sided.

[​IMG]

benveniste, Rushmore and Paddy54 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted