Cicero12's Top 7 of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cicero12, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

WOW!..What a lovely group!...Museum pieces...
    Love the reverse detail on the Caracalla a photo from the past!

Cicero12 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Questions: There were over a thousand aurei found at Boscoreale but they were not catalogued before dispersal. We see many from Nero and Vespasian. Are any known for Domitian Caesar? What other aurei (Caligula?, Galba?) are recognized as being Boscoreale coins?
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...AhVLF1kFHZsjBKoQjJkEegQIAxAB&biw=1120&bih=571
    The hoard was primarily silverware of great artistic value so the aurei were 'just coins' to the finders. I have to wonder if there were any silver coins from Pompeii. If the silverware survived without being destroyed by the eruption/burial it would seem there might have been silver coins found somewhere in the area devastated by Vesuvius but I have not seen anything on the question. The gold coins took on a distinctive red color. What would a silver or bronze coin in the same house look like? There must have been many thousand coins in the area on that day. I'm sure many were corroded out of existence but it would seem that some would have been preserved just as were the silverware. All the silver seems very 'cleaned'. Is there any record of what was done to those pieces?

4. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

As far as Roman gold goes, there are identified Boscoreale coins of all of the 12 caesars except for Julius. @AncientJoe has a glorious Domitian example. My Domitian COULD be from the Boscoreale hoard, but that is a judgment made on the toning and pedigree.

A non-exhaustive list was catalogued (by Canessa I believe) in Revue Numismatique. I have the article somewhere, I’ll see if I can dig up a link. Of course, a number of old catalogues also identify coins as being from the Boscoreale find, most often coins of Nero, the four emperors, or the Flavians.

5. Cicero12

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I’m especially happy about the kind words on the Severan pieces. I had been focusing on the 12 caesars, but I just couldn’t pass these Severans up.

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Another great selection from a great collector with some great and unusual reverses : that of the Domitian, the Caracalla and the Geta sand out. Thanks for sharing

Q

Cicero12 likes this.
  7. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I like all, but if I will have to take one :) I will chose Nero.
    Congratulations !

Cicero12 likes this.
  8. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Splendid coins, my favorites are Domitian with temple, Caracalla and IVDAEA.

Cicero12 likes this.
  9. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Fabulous coins all!

Not surprisingly, I'm partial to the Vespasian Judaea Capta and the Galba, the latter of which illustrates the Rome mint portrait in sharp contrast to my own Spanish (Tarraco) mint portrait. I'm looking forward to more as the rest of the 12 Caesars join your group!

I'd also like to offer an early New Year's toast to the superb examples of provenance/pedigree provided for all of these coins. It appears we now have a resident expert researcher for many Roman issues.

Cicero12 likes this.
  10. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

All of my favorite laudatory expressions have been used up by others here! Your coins are “fabulous” in every respect. Thank you very much for posting these superb photographs and the meticulously researched narratives. We are so lucky to have these wonderful postings on Coin Talk.

Julius Germanicus and Cicero12 like this.
  11. Christina Pernock

Christina Pernock Active Member

These coins are beautiful! I can't wait until the day I can afford my first gold coin!

Cicero12 likes this.
  12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I once thought about sending my 700+ World 1200-1933 W AV coins to auction, using all that cash to get 100+ or so Aurei in MS. I just cannot do it/ I love those as much:)
    John

Cicero12 likes this.
  13. Cicero12

Finally managed to track down the article it is in the below, I believe it begins on page 259, but searching Boscoreale will bring it up:

Le Musée : revue d'art antique | 1909-01 | Gallica (bnf.fr)

14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow @Cicero12 ! The Geta aureus is my favorite because of the style. The detail and correct looking scale of the hand and arm on the reverse is especially impressive. The Vespasian aureus is my second favorite for the historical reference. You obviously had a tremendous collecting year! Congratulations!

Cicero12 likes this.
  15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Wow! Great coins all, my favorite is the Geta.

Cicero12 likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Judaea Capta in gold? Ay, caramba.

This is truly an amazing array.

PS- I see now I had already commented earlier. That's OK. This group is worth doubling down on. ;)

Cicero12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted