Church spires, candlesticks, and ... defecating donkeys?!? (oh my)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 8, 2019.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't collect paper currency, but if I did, I'd dabble in US fractional currency, or German notgeld. Especially the latter.

I really like these small sized notes. They often have beautiful scenes and bright colors.

This Uncirculated 5-piece set of 1921 notgeld notes from Paderborn are not so colorful as most - they're in black and white, with silhouetted designs - but they're still quite lovely. There are 25-, 50-, and 75-pfennig notes as well as 1- and 2-mark denominations here.

Most of them can be described as "lovely", anyway. Given the political and monetary instability of the time, many notgeld notes have political and satirical messages.

The 2-mark note in this set in particular has some irreverent commentary on the state of the currency, with cheeky verse and a picture to match.

20190608_232600.jpg

[​IMG]

This stuff could become habit forming. It is certainly budget-friendly. I think I spent more on the medium pizza I had for dinner last night than I did this set of notes.

Just bought a double-sided float frame with glass on both sides to display these in. Think they'll make a nice Father's Day gift for my dad, who is a scholar of this era.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I love those notgeld! I bit on a lot a few years back and lost. Probably for the best since if I would have won, I would have ended up being up to my ears in notgeld.
    Great pick ups!

Stevearino and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

I am in danger of sliding down a slippery slope here myself.

Stevearino and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. furryfrog02

Good luck friend. If anything, I'm looking forward to seeing what you get. I will live vicariously through you since I can't get any myself :)

6. lordmarcovan

I bought these to give away, actually, but found them interesting enough that I decided to give them away within the family.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

A good gift indeed. There are so many amazing notgeld. Some really great artistry went into them.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I wonder what that pooping donkey on the 2 mark signifies?

9. furryfrog02

The value of the money at the time? :)

10. lordmarcovan

The seller, who is a dealer in notgeld, provided a self-admittedly imperfect translation of the verse, which gives the basic gist of it:
    Since I indeed bought their paper money, we know what that says about me, I guess! ;)

11. furryfrog02

Now you have me looking at notgeld on ebay and my wife is giving me side-eye. Thanks... :p

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

And me digging up my few notgeld notes I collected years ago. For re-appreciation. :happy:

lordmarcovan and furryfrog02 like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Eh, it's mostly cheap, so a seemingly harmless diversion, unless one were to go really hardcore and hog-wild, right? ;)

14. furryfrog02

I am not known for my self-control. I'm sure my wife would love nothing more than me getting some super cool looking, artistically drawn, historically interesting notgeld, when we are expecting our third child in like 3 months :p

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. happy_collector

Maybe these 3 could convince her? :happy:

F60B1BD9-7E62-41AA-8397-F322CF2A917D.jpeg

I recalled seller saying the note on top means "fighting hunger". Interesting illustration.

16. furryfrog02

Good looking stuff @happy_collector
    I am trying to proposition it as a type of art that we could maybe frame and put on the wall. Not sure if I will get anywhere. Diapers are more important than notgeld haha.

happy_collector and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Now you're talkin'. These are much more representative of the colorful and ornate aspects of notgeld. Wonderful.

happy_collector likes this.
  18. happy_collector

Thanks, @lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

The pooping donkey is got to be one of the funniest yet. Thanks for sharing those with us.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Yep, been there, done that. Years ago, I stared buying the group lots on ebay. Now I have a few thousand different, plus a lot of Austrian notgeld. Just wait, until you start looking for books to ID them. I probably spent as much on books as the notgeld. One of them has the translation and interpretation of the Paderborn donkey (I'd rather check it than do from memory and forget some details.

I'll also try to dig up a presentation that I did for a coin club. There are some pics of cool notes

21. lordmarcovan

Are there English language references?

Would like to see your presentation, if it is online and you can link to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted