Chunky Greek AE

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aidan_(), Mar 22, 2022.

1. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

One of my new purchases for 2022!!

[​IMG]
    Mysia, Kyzikos, 3rd Century BC
    AE28, 18.14 grams
    Obverse: Head of Kore-Soteira right wearing oak wreath.
    Reverse: Tripod altar with K Y Z I in two lines across fields, monogram in right field.
    Von Fritze 21

Really happy with this one! Post you coins of Mysia, Kyzikos!

~Aidan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Chunky bronzes are the best bronzes.

Aidan_() likes this.
  4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Very nice catch. I am under the impression that the large bronze coins from Kyzikos aren't seen as often on the market as the smaller ones.

Mine are all small change compared to yours:

Griechen – Mysien, Kyzikos, hemiobol, Löwe und Wildschwein.png
    Mysia, Kyzikos, AR hemiobol (?), c. 480–450 BC. Obv: roaring lion’s head l.; star above. Rev: forepart of boar l.; tunny behind. 8mm, 0.25g. Ref: BMC 120; Sear Greek 3850.

Griechen – Mysien, Kyzikos, AE10, Kore und Dreifuß.png
    Mysia, Kyzikos, AE10, c. 400–300 BC. Obv: head of Kore soteira wearing sphendone, wreath, and earring r. Rev: K-Y/Z-I; tripod with three handles over tunny fish. 10mm, 1,25g. Ref: see BMC 141–142; von Fritze 1917, no. 1; SNG France 429.

Griechen – Mysien, Kyzikos, AE, Kore Dreifuß.jpg
    Mysia, Kyzikos, AE18, 4th–3rd c. BC. Obv: head of Kore soteira wearing sakkos and earring r. Rev: K-Y/Z-I; tripod with three handles over tunny fish; monogram (AE) and control mark in fields. 18.5mm, 5.55g. Ref: see BMC 136–140 (different control marks); von Fritze 1917, no. 6.

Edessa, Aidan_(), Curtis and 11 others like this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Nice chunky monkey:singing:
    Here's some of my Kyzikos coins:
    share5329834251936959699.png
    Mysia. Kyzikos

480 BC. Obol AR 11mm., 0,71g. Forepart of boar left , E (retrograde) on shoulder, with tall mane and dotted truncation, dotted line on shoulder, to right, tunny upward / Head of roaring lion left with bristling mane, outstretched tongue, and dotted truncation, all within incuse square.
    Ex Silicua Subastas

This sweet rarity is up for debate, but most likely from Kyzikos:
    share1499139604685692871.png
    Mysia. Kyzikos (?) Uncertain. Tetartemorion (Circa 5th century BC).
    Obv: Crescents in triangular arrangement; pellet in one and between two. Shield (?)
    Rev: Head of roaring lion left within incuse square.
    Condition: Good very fine.
    Weight: 0.09 g.
    Diameter: 6 mm.
    Ex: Savoca

Here's a countermarked Hellenistic one:
    IMG_0407(1).PNG
    Antiochos IX Eusebes Philopator (Kyzikenos). 114/3-95 BC. Æ 21mm (10.36 g, 12h). Tarsos mint. First reign at Tarsos, 114/3-112 BC. Diademed head right w/ leaf (?)countermark on back of head/ Dionysos standing facing, head left, holding thyrsos and kantharos; to left, E above NK. SC 2352; SNG Spaer 2725 (with countermark on obv.). VF, dark green patina, light earthen highlights.

Edessa, Aidan_(), Curtis and 9 others like this.
  6. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I have a popular boar/lion hemiobol (Timon and Pumbaa?)
    upload_2022-3-23_1-24-25.png

Would have loved a better centering, but I like this coin, a plus for it is the panther head on the lion side.

But my favorite coin from this city is a Roman Provincial

upload_2022-3-23_1-26-17.png
    Mysia, Kyzikos
    Augustus
    17 mm 3,24 g
    Bare head of Augustus, r. / ϹƐΒΑϹΤΟϹ, capricorn, l., with head turned back; monogram including ΖΚ
    RPC I, 2245, F.W. Hasluck, NC 1906, 27, no. 3, AMC 1183

Edessa, Aidan_(), Curtis and 5 others like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is my MASSIVE Chunky Bronze from Kyzikos

[​IMG]
    Mysia, Kyzikos
    Æ12 1.2g, 6h; c. 400 BC - 3rd century BC.
    Obv.: Head of Kore Soteira right, hair bound in sakkos.
    Rev.: KY - ZIH; Tripod; above, crown; below, tunny fish.
    SNG France 430; BMC 141-3. Sear Greek 3862
    Ex: @John Anthony

Edessa, Theodosius, Aidan_() and 4 others like this.
  8. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Electrum stater of Kyzikos 500-450 BC Obv, Winged canine standing left on tunny fish head reverted. Rv Quadripartite incuse square. Anepigraphic. Weber 1568 16.07 grms 19 mm Photo by W. Hansen kyzikos12.jpg The electrum staters from the mint of Kyzikos are rather unusual in that they do not have a standard type, though the tunny fish is a common feature on most of the coins from this mint. Thus we are treated to a wide variety of types most of whom, as in the case of this winged dog, do not appear in Greek mythology. Either these creatures represent some local myth or someone needs to lay off the fermented grape juice. This coin has a metal composition of 50.44 % gold 47.15 % silver with the rest mostly copper. (XRF analysis) These coins being of a good size and a satisfactory heft were a popular method of storing wealth, however the introduction of the gold stater of Philip II of Macedon coupled with the massive gold coinage in the name of Alexander III ended this coinage. For those that might be interested I discuss this coin in more detail in the February 2018 issue of the Planchet (see link below)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Edessa, Aidan_(), Curtis and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted