chrsmat71's top 10 of 2016

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Dec 11, 2016.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I've enjoyed checking out everyone's top list, here's mine for the year.

10. I collect some modern coins as well as ancient, and thought the "new coins" should get a representative on my list. This one is a Conder token, a type of local coinage produced in Great Britian in the late 18th and early 19th century because of a lack of offical small change currency.

[​IMG]

9. This ugly coin was picked up out of an small lot of unidentified coins. The most fun I had with coins this year was IDing this lot, it was a blast. None are lookers, but I thought they should get a representative on the list as well. This one is rare and was pretty tough to ID.

[​IMG]

Tetrarchy of Chalkis, Coele Syria, Lysanias, 40 - 36 B.C.

O; female bust, R: double cornucopia, flanked by ligatures, 22 x 24 mm, 5.4 g

8.This one was the only real impulse buy on the list, I wasn't aware of the type until I saw one on vcoins for about 30 bucks, bought it almost immediately. Cool style!

[​IMG]

Pisidia, Etenna. 1st century AD.

Obv.: Nymph grappling with snake, amphora in left field. Rev.: E-T, sickle-shaped knife. 19 mm, 3.5 g. Hans von Aulock, Pisidiens, 522

7. This one made the list becuase of it's been on "the list" for quite some time. Not this particular coin, but a young portrait of Geta. Also, not a bad looking coin, and I kind of like the scragly flan.

[​IMG]

Geta. AD 200-205. AR Denarius

O: Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right R: Geta standing left, holding baton and scepter; trophy of arms to right. RIC IV 18; RSC 157b. 20 mm, 3.8 g

6. This coin made the list for exactly the same reason as the Get coin, look nice and was one rule I've needed for a while.

[​IMG]

CARINUS, 283-285 AD, Antoninianus.

O: IMP CARINVS P F AVG. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: GENIVS EXERCITI Genius standing left with patera and cornucopia. KAA in ex, Rome mint. RIC 256. 21 mm, 3.5 g

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The Etenna is my favorite. I went to Vcoins right after you posted that and put a few on watch. My favorites sold and I dropped one in my cart but haven't checked out. It's probably sold by now too, probably to a CoinTalk member or visitor who also saw your cool coin and wanted one :D

4. chrsmat71

5. This coin wasn't really on the list, but it's a great lookin' Parthian I picked up for a good price. The toning is sweet, wish the pic showed it better.

[​IMG]

Parthian Kingdom. Vologases IV. A.D. 147-191. Silver Drachm

O: Bust left with long, tapering and square cut beard, wearing double banded diadem with double loop, and tiara with earflaps, decorated with "hooks" on crest, ear and earring visible, spiral torque, dotted border. R: Archer enthroned right, pellet above arm, monogram below bow, single line Aramaic (top) , followed by a six-line stylised "Greek" inscription. Ecbatana .mint. 3.5 g, 19 mm. Sellwood type 84.128, ex. Tom Buggey.

4. This one was a double score, my first Syrian tet and my first Macrinus, the little Shamash below the eagle pushed it into my cart over a close competitor.

[​IMG]

Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Emesa. Macrinus, 217-218 AD. AR Tetradrachm

O: laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: eagle standing facing, head left, holding wreath in beak; between legs, radiate and draped bust of Shamash left. Prieur 1015. 27 mm, 12.9 g

3. "Parthian tet" was high on my list, and it finished 2016 in a pretty high spot as well.

[​IMG]

Volgases IV, Tetradrachm. 147-191 AD

O: Diademed bust left, wearing tiara; B behind / Greek legend, Vologases seated left on throne, Tyche standing right before him, presenting a diadem and holding sceptre; year (Seleucid 464, 152 AD), month below (November),Seleucia on the Tigris mint, 26 mm, 13.6 g. Sellwood 84.12-5; Shore 427.

2. I didn't know this coin was on my list till early in the year, when I read the Sayles book on provincial coins and saw some of your cool examples posted here. This coin is BIG and sexy. It looks good. It feels better.

[​IMG]

ANTIOCH PISIDIA, GORDIAN III 238-244 AD

O:Laureate and draped bust of Gordian III right; R: Mên standing facing, head right, foot on a bucranium, holding scepter and Nike on a globe to the right, rooster to left "COL CAES ANTIOCH SR" SNG France 1207. 35 mm, 26.0 g.

1. This one has also been on the list for quite some time. What put it in the first place spot was my reaction when I got it out of the package. I actually said "Wow" out loud. Nice feel in hand, nice details even though it has the off center reverse. You got to admit, for a chrsmat71 coin....this is pretty damned good.

[​IMG]

Azes (II?), Indo-Scythian Kingdom, Ar Tetradrachm, 1st century BC

O: King mounted on horse right, holding whip, Kharoshthi letter at right, Greek legend around: BAΣIΛEΩΣ BAΣIΛEΩN MEΓAΛOY / AZOY R: Pallas Athena standing right, holding right hand outstretched, holding spear in left, monograms at left and right, Kharoshthi legend around: maharajasa rajarajasa mahatasa / ayasa 24 mm, 9.6 g Reference: MIG 848k, Sen 98.374T

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I like what you did. I was trying to think if I was going to attempt putting a top list together. What ancients I've assembled since really starting this dark path (April this year) don't come close to comparison with you all. But if you add my U.S & moderns well that's a different story.

My favorite is your Geta.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto. I mean just look at those sad eyes. That's probably how he got his way with his mother.
    th.jpg

TypeCoin971793 and Smojo like this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great diverse selection, Chris... #2 and #9 are really doing it for me, and as you know I liked the Etenna you showed so much that I ended up with two of them myself.

Theodosius likes this.
  8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a very nice group Chris. I like the Azes very much.

9. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

You need to send one of them to poor TIF.

:) :) :)

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Shhhh.... I'm saving that one up as a gift for our big 50th year anniversary of CT friendship! :p

TIF likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins Chris

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful group Chris!!

I seem to favor #'s 1, 2 and 7

13. mcwyler

mcwyler Member

Not his brother though...

14. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great looking coins chrsmat71, gotta love those boy head Geta's.

15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

The Geta and the Gordian are my favourites, but really the whole group is very nice.

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I like all of your cool 2016 offerings ...

My favourites are => "2" (awesome) ... "8" (almost as awesome) ... "3" (very cool)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  18. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Nice and clever hunt. I preferred mostly number 4 of Macrinus and number 3 of Vologases IV. Of course I like the Half- Penny of "Duke of Lancaster". I would have chosen the nymph playing with a snake if it were in a little better condition. Cheers.
    Hope to see more coins before Christmas..

19. chrsmat71

thanks everyone!

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@chrsmat71 ... settled. I will take them all! Great job capturing these! They are nice additions for your collection, and I am looking forward to seeing your 2017 collection!!!

21. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Great pieces.. I particularly loved the Azes

Draft saved Draft deleted