chrsmat71's Top 10 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Dec 19, 2018.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Well, I thought this year was kind of a turd for ancient coins, but when I look at my top ten list it doesn't seem so bad. I didn't have many ancient purchases, I only had about 5 that didn't make the list. I did pick up several nice modern world coins this year however. Anyway, here is the list.

10. I like to put a modern coin in the 10 slot, this one wins because it was such a pleasant surprise from my SS as an birthday present!! I collect older modern coins, emergency money of any time, including porcelain notgeld from the 1920's. This is a modern piece from East German from the 1960's. A cool medal!

[​IMG]

9 and 8. The lyre coins.

These two were part of a mixed lot, nothing particularly amazing about them, other than it was fun to make a Doors "Light My Fire" pun thread with them back in February!

[​IMG]

Boeotia, Thespiai, early 3rd century BC
    O: Female (Arsinoë III?) head right, wearing modius (off flan) and veil.
    Rev: EΩN/ΘEΣΠI , Lyre within wreath. 14 mm, 4.2 g

[​IMG]

Achaia, Pellene, 3rd Century BC
    O: Kithra, R: Tripod, Π-E, 12 mm, 2.1g

7. Got this is a mixed lot at the same time I got the lyres, didn't like it much at first. My firs Commodus, and it has grown on me a bit, plus from Alexandria...so good enough for the 7 spot.

[​IMG]

6. This also may be considered a modern coin, but it old school hammered so I put it in with the rest of the coins made the old way. I had been wanting a coin of Elizabeth I for quite some time, thanks to @Mat for the opportunity to pick up his old coin when he upgraded.

lizschil.jpg

Elizabeth I, 1558 - 1603 A.D., AR Schilling.
    O: ELIZABETH : D : G : ANG : FR : ET : HIB : REGI, Crowned bust of Elizabeth left; bust 6B.
    R: POSVI DEV: ADIVTORVM • MEV:, Long cross over shield.
    Second Issue, 1560-1561.
    Mint mark: Martlet.
    Spink 2555.
    32mm, 5.5g

5. Also from the mixed lots, this coin is what drew me in...a big ol' sestertius of Domitian. This thing feels great in hand, I kept it on my desk and fondled it for months.

DomitianSestertius.jpg

4. Surf cow! I've wanted one of these for a long time, and was delighted to pick up this cool coin from stevex6!

[​IMG]

Thrace, Byzantion, AR Hemidrachm, 340-320 BC

O: Cow on dolpin, monogram above. R: Quadripartite incuse mill-sail pattern. SNG BM 36-41 , 14x11 mm, 2.5 g. Ex SteveX6 collection.

3. My SS present! This is one of the nicer coin I picked up this year, thank you so much SS! Also a type of coin I have been wanting for a long time! SS, did you read my diary or something????

[​IMG]

Crimmerian Bosporos, Pantikapaion. 304-250 BC

O: Head of Satyr left, wreathed with ivy. R: Bow above arrow, ΠΑΝ, AE 20mm, 5,71g, 12h. Ref. Hoover, HGC 116; SNG Standcomb, 560-561, Ex: Numismatique Louis Brousseau

1 and 2. I'll post these together, I'm not sure which is my fav. Also both from my coin buddy stevex6, his HUGE SA provincial and the "sweet Lorianne" charging knight!

[​IMG]

Pontus, Amasia. Severus Alexander. 228-229 AD

O : Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, AYT K M AYP CЄOYHPOC AΛEΞANΔPOC. R: Altar above which eagle stands facing, head left; behind, Sol in facing quadriga, holding whip; left of altar, tree. AΔP CЄY AΛЄΞ AMACIA MHT NЄ ΠP ΠON / ЄT CKH (date, CY 228). Dalaison 56. 26.4 g, 35 mm. Ex. stevex6 collection.

[​IMG]

Lorraine, Theobald II AR Double Denier, 1303-1312 AD.

O: The Duke of Lorraine, in armour, riding caped steed to right, carrying spear and shield, R: Downward sword between two Avalerions. 16 mm, 1.0g, Bd.1456 (6 f.). Ex. SteveX6 collection.

I hope everyone has a great 2019!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice coins. I like your Elizabeth 1 and Pantikapaion bronze best.
    If you are going to have a really TVRD year, you need a coin to fit the name.
    TVRD As Cr193.1.jpg
    Roman Republican; C. Papirius Turdus. 169-158 BC. Æ As Rome mint.
    Obv - Laureate head of bearded Janus; I (mark of value) above
    Rev - Prow of galley right; I (mark of value) to right, TVRD above.
    Crawford 193/1; Sydenham 366.

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Looks like you had a great year afterall, Chris. I really like the lyre coins, the stately bust of Zeus on the Alexandria tet, and, of course, that big ol' ex Stevex6 Pontus provincial. My favourite has to be that Domitian sestertius. It looks like a 'proto-contorniate', and if it were mine, it would definitely have made my year-end list as well.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All nice coins, but to me your number 1 & 2 are the the standouts, both I would love to have in my collection. Congrats on a set of great coins.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

+1

#1 and #2 are wonderful

Q

chrsmat71 and Deacon Ray like this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great group of coins, @chrsmat71 ! The one I like the most is the one you didn’t like at first, the Achaea lyre coin. Thank you for mentioning porcelain notgeld from the 1920’s! You really sparked my interest and I had to look it up. That’s some interesting history that I didn’t know about. The paper and linen emergency currency from that period has some amazing graphics.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fantastic additions to your collection! I particularly like the satyr from Panticapaeum and also the surfing cow!

chrsmat71 likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great year for you Chris. That double denier from Lorraine is fantastic.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  10. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

All nice! My top 2 of your 10 are the The Duke of Lorraine and the PAN!

chrsmat71 likes this.
  11. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Great coins this year Chris!! I like them all but may be a bit partial to #1, 3 & 10. Hope you have a great Christmas and an even better New Year.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coins, I like the Crimmerian Bosporos & Lorraine best.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Thanks everyone! Man @rrdenarius , now that is one fine lookin' TVRD!:woot:

Draft saved Draft deleted