Christmas Treasure Hunt

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by croesus_amok, Dec 27, 2023.

1. croesus_amok

croesus_amok Supporter! Supporter

For Christmas this year my dad gave my two grown sons, my wife, and I each a treasure chest. In the chests were 500 $1 coins. I have been hunting through the coins. I am looking for:

1. Sacagewea 2009 P 'Cheerios' coins
    2. 1979 Wide Rim Susan B. Anthony dollars
    3. Presidential coins with no edge lettering
    4. Any obvious errors or doubling

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

So far I have found a dozen or so uncirculated 'Three Sisters' Sacagawea. Some nice 1979 Narrow Rims and this James Monroe dollar with really weak, off-center edge lettering:

S20231227_0001.jpg S20231227_0002.jpg S20231227_0003.jpg S20231227_0004.jpg S20231227_0005.jpg

masterswimmer, expat and Coins4Eli like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Even if you don't cherrypick much out of it, a chest full of 500 of them is an impressive gift! Have fun!

Reminds me of the party my grandfather threw for all of us grandkids one year (this was in the late '70s or very early '80s). He had an old horse trough filled with sand and let each grandkid sift through it for a short period of time (timed by a stopwatch- the younger ones got longer on the clock). In the sand were dozens and dozens of Bicentennial Ike dollars.

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

The Cheerios Promotion was limited to the year 2000. You won’t find them in any subsequent year…Spark

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. croesus_amok

You are absolutely correct @Spark1951 - let me fix that.

6. croesus_amok

Oops - looks like I can't edit - but yes, I should have said 2000 P Sacagewea dollars.

Spark1951 likes this.
  7. dennis5151

dennis5151 Ole Grim and I are on first name basis.

Good luck, the fine details on the reverse on the Cheerios Dollars wear quickly so it is easier to look for the "flying bird to the right with curved beak open". Located at 6:30 on the reverse. See picture. Please post any you find, dibs on first bid. LOL.

Flying bird on Cheerios Dollar.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted