Christmas Metal Detecting

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinlover, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

hi eveyone!:kewl: has any of you been detecting lately? haven't heard of many stories in awhile. anyway its around 50 degrees here so i went metal detecting yesterday around an apartment complex where my mom friend lives. apartments are a really good place to detect. i try to do most of my detecting in the winter and fall so i don't get yelled at for tearing up any grass. found a whooping 87 cents though. i only detected around the playground they have too. i would have liked of detected the whole place but it gets dark early. and the good thing about detecting now is that bugs don't bite you. so is the ground too frozen for anyone else to detect?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

It's been a while since I have pulled out my metal detector. It's too cold here and we have snow on the ground so I won't be taking it out any time soon.

I have had some success in the past. Found IH cents, V nickels, Barber dimes, Merc dimes, an old Chinese coin (likely lost by a Coolie building the railroad south of Denver in the 1870s), and many other cool things.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

So, I snuck out on Monday in the AM.
    We'd had a bit of a rain storn on Sunday, so I wanted to check out the beaches.
    My favorite one was all build up, with new sand and stunk.
    On the way back I had to walk across another beach where I hit a few coins, and then a few more.
    To make a long story short, I wound up with:
    #76 coins = $6.46;
    1- wheatie: 1955 D; the first at a beach in ages!
    1- Buff no date; " "
    1- Roosie- silver, black. " "

One silver man's ring, marked 925 (sterling)
    and a 10Kt Gold ring!
    (Fist gold ring in a while).

Early presents.
    (Also went out Tues AM, nothing good except for some change.)

5. ACW

ACW AIM HIGH

Do any of you use the Sunray probes? I have been thinking of getting the DX-1 probe for my Whites MXT after the holidays (when I have money). I have been studying them and all I am getting is praise from those who have them.

6. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

I haven't been out in over a month. A foot of snow will do that.

7. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I have not had the time, but I promise I will soon. Christmas season and the guests, website, etc etc too busy. I cannot wait to get up and at it. I have had my MXT out only 3 times at the schoolyard across the street and found pocket change each time, nothing great yet. That will change ( pun intended ) soon I hope.

8. Bluegill

Bluegill Senior Member

I’m pretty excited – I got an Ace 250 for Christmas. I’ve only used it a little. My brother got one, too, and that afternoon we were both in our parents’ yard, digging. I found a quarter (1985) within five minutes, and then a nickel. My brother has spent more time there, and has found more coins and a 1929 cent. He’s also found toys that we must have lost decades ago.

He went to a large park here in town and found 75 cents but nothing old. I have little time to go out, with two small children at home, but I’ve been spending plenty of time reading about it and getting site ideas via the Internet.

In my own yard and the yard of the abandoned house next to ours (both houses date to the late ‘70s) I’ve found pennies and dimes.

It is a plus that my wife thinks that the idea of my brother and I detecting together is “cute.”

The temps have been well below freezing for a couple of days, but it’s supposed to be warmer this weekend.

9. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

This is tough on me. I have the time off right now, but am home with pnumonia, stuck in the house with a brand new MXT. Can't wait to get that thing out and whirrin loudly !!!

Im probably posting everybody too much as well.....cabin fever makes life boring.

10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

As for me, since the ground is no longer frozen, i took the opportunity today to go out detecting in my favourtite forest where i have found some roman items before. I found very little, quite dissapointing actually. But i did get a lot of fresh air, and plenty of exercise. I will try a different area next time.
    Eduard

11. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

I got an Ace 250 for christmas, but being in the Chicagoland area, there really isn't much I can do with it now.

Everyone thought it was cool that it could accurately detect what coin they were holding in their hand.

12. Ron5812

Ron5812 New Member

Hi Gatzdon,

I live in Chicago too. You might try some of the forest preserves. I don't have a metal detector but that would be my first place if I did.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

BE CAREFUL!
    Preserves are by definition not allowed to be disturbed.
    Get permission first.
    And if it is Federal land: STAY AWAY!

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Gatzon, Ron, I live inthat area to. we need to go metal detecting. man if we hit a rare find we could be like the 3 amigos :)

15. luc87

luc87 Lmcoins

50 degrees?

16. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

He means 50 degrees F not C...What is it in Canada about now -15 to 20 C

RickieB

17. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I got a Ace 150 for christmas and only had the chance to scope my mothers back yard. I found about 50 aluminum siding clips from when they had the house sided about 12 years ago, one steel pull tab, the old type, a 1994 cent, and 4 inch diameter pipe end,open, that after digging down 6 inches decided not to fiddle with and reburied. Now back here in NE, I'm gonna have to wait a bit to get rid of the snow before I hit up some places.

18. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

BQ..you in New England...

At the Cape air Base??
    Lets hook up for some metal detecting this spring...I have Mine-Lab Xcalibur

RickieB

19. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

no, sorry rickie, NE for nebraska

20. AUBU2

AUBU2 Senior Member

Hi, i have a White XLT(?) eagle metal detector(I've had it for quite awhile(Purchased new). I have'nt been out with it for quite sometime. I was wondering if theres a guide as to the best sites? I'm in Michigan.

21. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Got to love the irony that a country that still puts the Queen on their money is using the metric system while we still insist on using a system invented by a country we fought a war against 200+ years ago because we didn't like them telling us what to do lol...

Draft saved Draft deleted