Chopmarks vs. Counter-stamp

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, May 24, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Thanks for the info, I thought that might be the case. ICG does the same as these types of marks are not considered damage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Planchet flaws, when severe enough, all by themselves, are sufficient and legitimate reason for a coin to be considered damaged and put in a Details or Genuine slab.

And it's not just the TPGs who say so, it's been that way since before there were any TPGs.

And yes, chopmarks are without doubt - damage.

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

This is similar in concept, but uses paper notes as an example (image below).

If a note during Germany's hyperinflation episode lost its intended value before even being released, and the government/mint decided to stamp it with a higher denomination to keep up with inflation, is that considered damage? Or, is it technically just another step in their "striking" (printing) process?

Now, if it had already been issued, and recalled for whatever duration it was released into circulation, then is it damage and not another step in the striking/printing process for coins/notes?

Similarly, if it's another coin used as a base for counter-stamping, then is the base coin not only a planchet, but also intended to look exactly that way as-is? Whereas, a damaged planchet coin was not intended to look that way when struck; the base coin of a C/S was intended to look that way, otherwise, they would have stamped over the entire coin. So, isn't it the intention of how it should look like when issued that determines if it's a damaged coin? That would mean again that from the perspective of the original base coin, it's damaged; but from the perspective of the counter-stamped coin, it's not damaged (assuming no other damages/Details grade on the coin such as a cleaning/polishing).

Pic from the 'net:

[​IMG]

Stevearino likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yeah, dem there danged feriners autta learn not to mess wit' our here coins

Insider and Jwt708 like this.
  6. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

As I mentioned before I would say an official issue it moves the goalposts so to speak. As its official damage, I don't see why it would be graded as details for that reason. Like a lot of the West Indian cut, countermarked, plugged and holed coins..

7. Insider

IMO, you explained it nicely; however I fear the paper money example may have clouded the waters while trying to cover the bases.

This is the way I think many numismatists look at it: Anytime an "Official" entity such as a government (and as a stretch an organization) defaces an object by ink, stamping, and (you can add something); while SOME can consider it damage, most do not. So, the imprint on the German note, surcharges on stamps, countermarks done by a government on another countries coinage, and even the counter punched Stone Mt. halves are not considered to be damaged items. :)

8. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

A little bit of overthinking going on here, I suspect, but what the heck – a good debate to have anyway.

A couple random opinions…

- A German hyperinflationary banknote that has been overprinted or “reissued” as a new note – not damaged but a new issue by means of the (official) overprint. Straight grade. (same for 1923 Costa Rica counterstamped/revalued coins, for example).

- chopmarked trade dollar -”damaged” but displaying some interesting and important history as a result. Collectable in its own right. How to grade? Keep it raw and don’t worry about it, unless you need a “genuine” determination.

I love counterstamped coins, but one critical distinction is whether or not the counterstamp is identifiable as to origin (or at least era) and authenticity. In other words, a prepared punch (all letters, etc. on one punch) vs. the use of individual letters. The issue I have with chop marks is that they seem to be the Chinese equivalent of individual letter punches, and I don’t know how those can definitively be authenticated. If this hurdle can be overcome, then attributing specific marks might one day add great value to these coins.

Insider likes this.
  9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I want to add this one, since it sticks out like a sore thumb: the Australian "holey" dollar. Official Aussie currency, from what I understand, of counter-stamped (counter-punched?) foreign silver coins. I can see how this may have an either love it or hate it following. I, for one, think that it's neat, as I'm thinking that if the counterfactual was to melt them, I'd rather have this instead.

Would you consider this punched out coinage more damage, or equally damaged compared to a typical counter-stamped coin?

Pic from the 'net:

[​IMG]

10. Insider

I think they just made a "new" coin, not damage.

11. GDJMSP

Which is the reasoning behind any "official" counter-mark, regardless of shape, size, or type, even up to and including over-strikes. Which is why no "official" counter-mark is considered damage.

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

So do we consider the base coin a planchet? It seems to be so technically speaking.

But it's damage in so far as the perspective from the original base coin only, right?

13. GDJMSP

Yes. And it's not just technically, it is factually.

That's the thing, it's not damage at all because at the moment that an original is counter-marked it ceases to be that original coin and becomes an entirely new and different coin altogether.

To fully understand this consider an over-strike. An over-strike is a preexisting coin that is used as a planchet to mint an entirely new coin, which may, or may not, have an entirely different value. And this over-strike is often done, in fact most often done, by the same country or govt. who issued the original coin to begin with. It is typically done for one of two reasons - it saves them money because they don't have to suffer the expense of making the planchets; and/or it allows them to make money by increasing the value of the new coin over and above what the value of the previous coin was. But that's a secondary issue to the one we have at hand.

The point here is that when a coin is over-struck the previous coin ceases to exist. It is no longer that old coin. It is the new coin, usually with a new date, and quite often an entirely new design. And often, an entirely new value.

And the exact same thing happens when a coin is counter-marked by someone, anyone, with issuing authority. The only difference between a counter-mark and an over-strike are their sizes - meaning the sizes of the dies of each.

An over-strike die is the same size as the original coin that has now become a planchet. While a counter-mark die is almost always much smaller than the original coin that has now become a planchet. But in both cases the original coin is struck by dies that change the design and often the value.

You also have to understand that it is much cheaper for the issuing authority to use the counter-mark method because it obviously costs less money to produce small, little dies of a random size than it does to produce large dies of a very specific size.

So, in every case, when a coin is "officially" counter-marked an entirely new coin is created and the old coin ceases to exist. So a counter-mark can never in any way be considered to be damage.

14. Insider

Perhaps we can say that while it technically might be called damage by a purist, it really is not? That should make everyone happy. :angelic:

BRandM likes this.
  15. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

Think of it this way a pure collector of 8 Reales wouldn't buy a Bank of England countermark or overstrike too attain a specific date. Nor would I consider an 8 Reales without one. So in summary official government issued over/count strike is genuine but a chop mark is a metal test and thus damage.

16. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

But then what if after the counter-stamping, the coin is damaged? For example, if a Mexico City minted 8 Reales coin is counter-stamped by (enter country here), and after it was released, the coin had a significant scratch on the non-counter-stamped portion, is the coin damaged? Or do we ignore that tidbit because there's no way in telling when it was damaged unless the owner did it?

17. Insider

But if what? But then what? There are thousands of "But If's." I'll bet we could reach more pages than the: "Should Doug Give Me A Like" thread just writing "But If's."

Perhaps if you were to take a "stab" at your own questions and write your opinion for us to see, the answer to your question might become very clear to you! At the same time you'll be educating others.

18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The premise here is that counter-stamped coins are, absolutely speaking from a technical, factual standpoint, not considered damage in numismatics. Therefore, 'what if' questions are necessarily in order and expected, from the mundane to the obvious. It must be able to withstand scrutiny from the mildest and even wildest inquiries to uphold an absolute numismatic philosophy.

19. Insider

:rolleyes:

20. GDJMSP

If the coin is scratched, yes of course it's damaged. And no it doesn't matter if that scratch was imparted to the coin - at the Mexico City mint by a mint employee, after it left the mint, at the London mint by a mint employee, or after it left that mint.

You see, a scratch and the counter-mark are two entirely different things. One is always damage, and the other is always not damage.

Some people are of the mistaken idea that just because damage is imparted to a coin at the mint and by a mint employee - that it is not damage. But this is incorrect. Any damage that is imparted to the coin after is has been struck - by anyone at any time in anyplace - is always damage.

And it is that very concept that answers all the what-ifs.

Insider likes this.
  21. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

But planchet damages aren't considered damage to the coin, per se, right?

So if the base coin is scratched, but the counter-stamping was made over that scratch, then it's not a damaged coin, but a scratched planchet (?).

Draft saved Draft deleted