Chop Marks

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johsan, Apr 20, 2004.

1. johsan

johsan New Member

In 1988 I went to Yucatan on vacation. We visted Chicheitza and walked the path that the Aztecs did for their sacrifices. There was a feeling that I walked in passed history. When I buy coins from the 15th, 16th or even the 19th century there is a lot of history even if they have chop marks. Just to know who that merchant or country was that held the coin....... This is why I asked if anyone has knowledge or has reserched who or where the chop marks reprsent. Thank you all for your replys but my question has not been answered.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

johsan -

But your question has been answered. The chop marks were placed on the coins by Chinese merchants. The purpose of their mark was to signify to other merchants that the coin was genuine silver.

Now if you are asking specific names of these merchants - no - that has not been answered. I doubt it could be.

4. jody526

jody526 New Member

If you will go back to post #5, and click on LINK #1, then scroll down to the bottom of that page, I think you will find information that will be helpful to you.

5. johsan

johsan New Member

Thank you Jody 526 for your help. The information provided about chop marks was exactly what I was seeking. Thanks again, Johsan

6. jody526

jody526 New Member

You're welcome, Johsan.
    Glad to help.

Draft saved Draft deleted