WTS: CHOICE 12 Caesars Coins

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by John Anthony, Aug 9, 2020.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hello friends, here is a handful of high-grade coins for a 12-Caesars collection, with some of the scarcer emperors. PM me if interested. Prices include insured shipping within the US. Payment by Paypal (+3.6%), MO, check, or Transferwise. I have 100% positive feedback on eBay over eight years of sales and I offer a lifetime guarantee of authenticity. Peace and blessings, J.

1. Tiberius, the famous "tribute penny." SOLD

2. As of Caligula, Vesta seated. SOLD

3. As of Claudius. SOLD

4. Denarius of Otho, Securitas type. SOLD

5. Denarius of Vitellius, Concordia type. Again, many good things about this coin: smooth, clean surfaces, no damage, good centering, only circulation wear, distinctive bust of the emperor. Compare to CNG here. $230

[​IMG]

Vitellius, AD 69.
    AR denarius, 3.2g, 19mm, 6h.
    Obv.: A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P; Laureate head right.
    Rev.: CONCORDIA P R; Concordia seated left, patera in right hand, cornucopia in left hand.
    Reference: RIC I 90.
    From the Sallent Collection, ex-FORVM

6. Domitian was an ambitious emperor, initiating a substantial building program to restore Rome, and shoring up the empire's border defenses. So it's not surprising that we find Minerva on his coinage. She was the goddess of strategic warfare, that is of defense and deterrence. The Romans equated her with Athena, and she was one of the three deities of the Capitoline Triad, along with Jupiter and Juno.

This is a tremendous coin, struck in excellent style, perfectly centered on a large flan, lightly toned, with only a bit of circulation wear at the high points of the laurel wreath, and full inscriptions. An example of this quality could easily fetch over $200 at auction – compare to sold coins at CNG here. $175

[​IMG]

Domitian. AD 81-96.
    AR denarius, 19mm, 3.25 g, 6h; Rome mint. Struck AD 88-89.
    Obv.: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VIII; Laureate head right.
    REV.: IMP XVII COS XIIII CENS P P P;Minerva standing left, helmeted and draped, thunderbolt in right hand, spear vertical behind in left hand, grounded shield on left side behind.
    Reference: RIC II 659; RSC 244
    From the Sallent Collection, ex-FORVM

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020