Chinese Sycee (Yuan Bao)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by britannia40, Sep 29, 2015.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

In the last 5 month I started collecting Chinese coins for my daughter. I think like 2 months ago I came across my first sycee and was bit by them as far as wanting several varieties. Its hard to find them those are authentic and then further that are cheap enough not to cost a house payment. I so far have obtained the following 3 they are fairly small. Keep in mind the information I have below is from various sources and friends I have in China.
    s9.jpg

#1 is 43.4 Grams and equivalent to about 1 tael. It is the standard boat style. the Chinese words =Quangxi Emperor
    s6.jpg s5.jpg tael.jpg
    #2 is 47.4 Grams and a round bowl style, It has one Chinese word in the old days meant money. this is more of a private stock.
    s1.jpg s2.jpg s7.jpg
    #3 is 72.7grams and a saddle style. Its Government Tax Fund. from my understanding the government would take the tax money and put them into these for emergency use like war and such.
    s3.jpg s4.jpg s8.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Do you have Joe Cribb's book on sycee? Its the standard for the field.

Personally I would only trust respected dealers well known to US collectors. About 99% of these from China are fakes, and they make extremely convincing ones. That is the reason I do not own any, since I cannot assure myself of authenticity. I just bought a Vietnamese 10 dong bar that was from the estate of a well known US dealer and documented in his inventory in the 1970's.

I am not claiming to be an expert in these, and others here might be, but the bottom two especially bother me. The darkness looks like painted fake patina, not naturally occurring toning. The shen of the characters of all three do not look right to me either. However, I defer to others here who might be more knowledgable on these than myself. I have, though, held in hand a couple of dozen authentic pieces. Maybe Bill, (@Ardatirion ) has more knowledge of these.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

5. Yarb0

Yarb0 Member

Not an expert by any means, but seem illegitimate

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'm also under the same impression. These look a bit too refined.

Draft saved Draft deleted