Chinese Pandas from an investment standpoint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HisBoyElroy, Mar 1, 2015.

1. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Member

A few days ago I stumbled across an article regarding purchasing graded Pandas as a long term investment. What surprised me is the recommendation was strongly in favor of MS69 coins. I would guess the argument would be the growth potential of the MS69 is better since the coin is so much cheaper than a MS70? Personally I collect for the joy of collecting and for long term investment. Considering the average cost of current MS69 Pandas is about 35.00 to 36.00, I'm thinking it's time to load up on some.

What say you?

***I'm invested in traditional investment vehicles(401k, Roth, etc..) so please, lets stick to the subject at hand.***

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

I'm curious as to why you might think paying twice the spot value for a bullion coin would make a good investment. Just about every Panda minted is automatically a 69

Another question to ask yourself is has any graded bullion ever increased in value excluding the general rise in silver spot value? Stay away from graded modern coins and bullion. That stuff will go nowhere

medjoy and doug5353 like this.
  4. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I have a couple but the bag is out. Gold/silver ones from the late 80's are the bucks.

5. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Depends - some of these have went up in value quite a bit. A modern Kennedy Half say a MS 69 1995 will net you quite a profit if you got it at the right time. Some moderns are good and if made of precious metal you are somewhat hedged.

6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I don't really care for them-I'd rather gamble on Zombucks. :D But Pandas sound like a pretty good speculation considering they've been around for awhile and seem to be pretty popular.

vdbpenny1995 likes this.
  7. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

I wouldn't, the price on old Chinese silver pandas is very high but they were low mintages. The new ones are being minted in large numbers, i think last years silver mintage was 8 million.

I'd actually buy just about any silver product over a 2014-2015 MS69 panda for more than double spot.

There are lots of silver coins that go for about $2-$4 premiums over spot that could become collectible in the future, I'd go with one of those as the risk is much less. (since you'd be paying such a smaller premium)

8. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Also to add almost every coin minted now is at least a 69. So you are paying an extra $14 per coin for the protective case. (over the normal $6 premium)

9. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

If the price of silver rises, that premium will get smaller and smaller until it disappears altogether. Why bother? I'd rather buy one extraordinary type coin than a whole handful of Maple Leafs, Britannias, Philharmonics, etc. Everybody's got them, and at $50 silver, they'll all be worth the same -- bullion content.

10. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Very few "coins minted now" will achieve the grade of MS69 from a top tier grading company. For some years and mintmarks there will be none graded at MS69.

11. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Almost every single silver American eagle is either a 69 or 70. A 68 is so undesirable that the big shops ask for those to get sent back without being graded.

12. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

So I have a chance to buy either a 1988 or 1989 1/4 ounce gold panda for about $325 from my father or a 1986 or 1989 1/2 gold panda for about $650. What's your thoughts on these coins? All four are ungraded and in the original flips from when her bought them back in 89. If you ask me which one I like, I think its the 88.

Draft saved Draft deleted