Chinese Dynasty Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Oxford Punter, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Oxford Punter

Oxford Punter Active Member

Recently I have been digging through coins that I've acquired over the years. They were NOT what I was collecting at the time, but were picked up around the edges of other trades. Because of that, they were put in a box and ignored -- up until now. I find I am getting a fair amount of enjoyment out of looking into these coins. I admit up front that I am a lowly novice in these types. But... a good deal of my amusement is in that not knowing!

Any and all tutelage about these coins will be humbly and gratefully accepted!

The left coin is from, I believe, the Han Dynasty, ~206BC-220AD. I am unsure on the differences between the Western Han and the Eastern Han dynasties, and thus where this coin may fit more specifically. How can I know?

The middle coin, I believe, may be the Qin Dynasty, 221-206BC.

The right coin, (I am taking a shot here), may be from the Song Dynasty. Perhaps more specifically, the Northern Song Dynasty, 1056-1063AD.

Am I wildly lucky in my guesses, or horribly off-base? Corrections will not hurt my feelings! On the contrary, I would appreciate the education. Thank you!

PhotoScan.jpg PhotoScan2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hmmm, are you really 94 years old? ...

=> you are one year older than my dear ol' Dad

cheers.gif

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I'm going left to right.

The first coin is a Wu Zhu from the Eastern Han Dynasty. The way to tell is to look at the strokes of the zhu component of Zhu; if they are straight, then it is Western Han, and if they are curved, then it is Eastern Han. Compare below:

IMG_7020.JPG

(Interesting fact: The character "Zhu" is made up of two components: the left one is "Jin," which means "metal," and the right one is "zhu," which roughly means "red." Put the two together, and you get "red metal," or bronze/copper.)

The second coin is a Ban Liang that mimics the style of the coins cast by the Qin, but this one was made in the Western Han dynasty circa 160-120 BC. It looks to be 23-25mm and probably weighs 2-3g. Typically, Qin coins are over 30mm in diameter and over 5-6g.

I see Jia You Tong Bao, which fits squarely with the date range you posted.

5. Oxford Punter

Acckk! Arrrggg! Egad! Although I occasionally feel that way, no, I am not 94 years old. The birthdate should read "1962" rather than "1922." Oh... the shame at not better proofing what I typed at sign-up. Sorry.
    Thanks stevex6 for pointing out my premature geriatric condition. I owe you and your dear ol' Dad a pint. :)

I guess I need to find an Admin to bring back forty years of my life...

6. Oxford Punter

@TypeCoin971793
    Wow, in a few short paragraphs you have given me a more useful education than my muddling through many a website. Thank you, thank you. Now I am more intrigued. Makes me want to dig up a coin from each dynasty that produced coins.

Alegandron and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  7. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Well, questions answered already but I would suggest if you have much interest, buy "Cast Chinese Coinage" by David Hartill. It is the new standard work on ancient to modern Chinese coins. Costs around $50, you can get it anywhere (even from the Author, but he is in UK, so consider shipping). It wont go out of print as it is a print on demand book.

Oxford Punter and Alegandron like this.
  8. Oxford Punter

That looks like a great reference. I shall keep my eyes open for it. Is it actually bound like a book?

9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Yes, it is a cardcover. I use mine so often I had the spine strengthened with aluminum clasps.

Oxford Punter likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Hartill is divided into ~25 sections many of which are Dynasties. Most would consider that an odd way to collect and you will find some of his groups a lot harder to find than others. There are a few Dynasties that produced the vast majority of coins we see sold (Songs leading?). Most beginner collectors will have a few hundred of them for each Rebel coin but your method is up to you.

Alegandron likes this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

There are several ways to collect Chinese coins, so don't don't feel obligated to collect any one way. The one-from each dynasty is a rewarding collection, especially if you get on from each warring state/kingdom. Lots of fascinating history there.

I primarily collect pre-618 AD coins, but I like to pick up hole-fillers when I can.

IMG_6220.JPG

Oxford Punter and Alegandron like this.
  12. Oxford Punter

Part of what is fun about digging into coins that I have acquired "around the edges" (coins in areas in which I have not studied or specialized) is that it immediately opens another whole world of ooohs and aaaahs. And history. And more.

Thank you all!

13. Oxford Punter

@TypeCoin971793, is that photo just the miscellany in the carpet under your desk, or perhaps in your junk box? :D

[Interesting! Lovely! I'm guessing I need a copy of the aforementioned David Hartill book before I begin to have a clue as to what they all are.]

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Alegandron and Oxford Punter like this.
  15. Oxford Punter

Nice suggestions @chrsmat71. The Primal Trek website alone looks like it could give me a big headstart. Thank you.

16. TypeCoin971793

These are the better coins in my collection that I staged on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper for the fun of it.

Oxford Punter likes this.
  17. Oxford Punter

Great photo!
    Now I need the index key for it... :)

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I want to backhand your avatar. LOL

Ajax likes this.
  19. Oxford Punter

Heeheeheeehee... I'll try to behave. :)