Chinese Coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by texguy, Mar 23, 2008.

1. TM444

TM444 New Member

Hi Texguy,

your post is really old but I've been trying to identify a coin that has the same characters as yours http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i32/texanlover/OTHER/878c1c23.png but the reverse is of two dragons with a yin yang symbol in the center, I've seen similar images but the symbols never match, can you or anyone help? oh and magnets don't stick to it

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

TM444, you need to post a photo of what you have there. The description that you gave "symbols" not matching is not good enough for any kind of guess. I'm somewhat guessing it could be from the Kirin (Jilin) province but you still will have to post a photo. Welcome to cointalk by the way.

5. TM444

TM444 New Member

IMG_0023_0081.jpg IMG_0022_0080.jpg Here is the front and back, let me know if you need better images. Thank you

6. TM444

TM444 New Member

I have this coin that I'd like to know about also, thank you for helping me out.
    IMG_0024_0082.jpg IMG_0025_0083.jpg

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Ok there are some information which may be interesting but they are unfortunately not genuine or even fantasy but just random designs.

First coin claims that it's a coin from the Gansu (Kansu in Wade-Giles) province: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gansu struck in 1905. Denomination: 1 tael. But that's impossible as if you know a bit of Chinese numismatics, Gansu province practically had no silver and they started to strike coins after 1920s. The only silver coin that they struck (as far as I can remember) is the Yuan Shi Kai dollar coin but this can be VERY expensive: http://www.dragon-dollar.info/tag/gansu/

The next coin is also a joke - it claims to be a coin from Tibet with the denomination 2 yuan. This is modelled after the Hunan silver cake: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7012700. It also claims to be struck under the Guangxu emperor (1874-1908). But no, this can't be possible either as Tibet was still striking coins of it's own.

I have started to collect Chinese coins from last year and found out that prices have been going absurdly high from the middle of last year. There's no way you can strike gold with Chinese coins with the flood of counterfeits coming out every second and if you don't know what you are looking at, it's not going to happen.

For a good illustration of Chinese coins struck from the early 1900s, this recent auction might be good to look at: The Ponterio and Associates December 2010 Hong Kong Auction. http://www.bowersandmerena.com/auctions/pricesrealized.aspx Prices will shock you.

8. TM444

TM444 New Member

Thanks Gx,

I've had them lying around for a while and like I said the front and back never really matched up to any other coin image that I have found on the web, even the ones I see on ebay that were made into necklaces don't have the same opposite to the dragons. Oh well, still cool to have around. Thanks again

9. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

The denomination is actually "one tael" but you are absolutely correct about it being a "joke".

This "coin", which the Chinese refer to as "fabricated" or "concocted", has surfaced on a number of Chinese websites including this one.

Gary

10. Assur

Assur Junior Member

[FONT=宋体]Dear Texguy,[/FONT]
    [FONT=宋体]I am in Shanghai and have collected chinese coins for about 20 years.[/FONT]
    [FONT=宋体]I am not very familiar about all chinese coins but do know something about chinese big silvers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=宋体]That "coin" is definite a fantasy one, because no such reverse design would be allowed by the government at that time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&#23435]May this will help.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&#23435]Assur[/FONT]

11. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

there was a time when i was interested in chinese coins, but with the amount of fakes/fantasy coins around now i don't bother anymore.

12. 99thfms

99thfms New Member

I have the coin and it is not attracted by a magnet and appears to weigh the same as my one tael coins of silver although I have not had it tested for silver.
    What grading service should I send it to to verify authenticty?
    chas

13. 99thfms

99thfms New Member

I have the coin discussed and a magnet is not attracted to it. The dragon has five claws and the weight is like my other one tael coins.
    Should I send it to an authentication service. If so, which one? The pony is in full gallop as am I.
    chas

14. CreepyPasta

CreepyPasta New Member

Weird.. I have the same exact coin. I stumbled across this website while I was looking for info on the coin! Gotta go get a magent.

15. terry vanblaricun

terry vanblaricun New Member

i have a coin i can not find out if it a token or a coin can you please help me it has a star it look it has ye ya sing other side look fish round no hole it look old it copper i think,would love send you a picture if you can help

Draft saved Draft deleted