Chinese Coin expert needed: Real or Fake 1911 Dragon Dollar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by marbury518, Aug 14, 2022.

1. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Picked this up today. Was in amongst very obvious fakes but this got my attention as i have seen many fakes and they also look obvious and this looked right......but I could be wrong. IMG_0376.jpg IMG_0379.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Your face-on photos are small and not super-sharp, but I don't see anything to make me think it's not fake.

I've often seen one fake among a number of real coins. I've never seen one real and valuable coin among a bunch of fakes.

See if you can get some clearer shots of the faces. The edge photo is nice and sharp.

4. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Can you tell me why you think it's fake? What indicators? Thanks.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll do better than that: I'll lead with a disclaimer that I've rarely seen images of real coins of this sort, and I'm the furthest thing from an expert on them.

To me, in those images, the coin looks to have the same coloring and the same mushy details that I usually see in cheap modern fakes flooding in from overseas. It may well be that a real coin could have this coloring, and that it's just the photos preventing me from seeing sharp details. But given where you say it came from, and given the OVERWHELMING prevalence of fakes on these, it just seems super-unlikely that this is a real coin. Again, though, see if you can post some clearer photos, and wait for the people who do know the series.

6. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Correct but my point is that i have seen these faked, and they generally look nothing like the real thing. Will try and get better photos.

Attached Files:

7. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

More scans. 100_6911.JPG 100_6912.JPG 100_6913.JPG 100_6915.JPG

These coins can be seen in a slab very easily on e-bay.

8. marbury518

marbury518 Marbury

Consensus seems to be it is a fake......re other discussion forums.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted