Chinese Banknote, c. 1375

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

A 14th century Chinese banknote of 1 Kuan may be found in this book catalogue of an Australian bookseller (it's Nr. 1, page 4). I will be taking a look at it, in the coming weekend.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Fascinating, thank you!

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's pretty darn cool. interesting that it has a pictorial representations of the coins it represents and mention them being put together on a string.

Michael K likes this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

In the late 1960s or thereabouts, Stanley Gibbons Currency, part of the famous London stamp firm had a bundle of these they were selling for about £300 each.

The price seems to have increased markedly since then, by about 30 times.

Michael K likes this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I briefly owned one of those and they are printed on mulberry bark paper which gives them that dark bluish hue. They are huge, in fact it was the largest piece of paper money I have ever owned, along with the oldest.

Pellinore and Michael K like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In re OP, that's awesome.

8. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

You'd think that, but there were devaluations and inflation. I found an interesting website with a calculator. In 2015, the value of 300 pound sterling of 1967 is between £ 4500 and £ 13 600 in actual pounds. 13 500 euros, the price of the Chinese banknote, is £ 11 680 as of today.

Draft saved Draft deleted