Chinese Auto Coin (Repost)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by WannieA, Jun 22, 2018.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

take it to a coin show for a second look. I am agreeing with you about if NGC said it was not real then it is not real.

mlov43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

I'm curious about your reply (thank you by the way first). At this point, I am definitely accepting of NGC results. But, I'm curious - since the coin dealer is willing to front money I suppose to prove a moot point - I would assume that all TPG would have the same opinion on a coin being not genuine? (At least I would hope so...) Would I be correct to assume that if one company deems it not genuine, PCGS would as well?

4. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@WannieA Can you post pics of the other coins that were graded? I'm sure many of us would love to see it.

Chances are if NGC deems it fake, PCGS would do the same thing. I would trust NGC, they grade a lot of world coins especially chinese. They know their stuff, with tons of chinese fakes being peddled, I'm sure they take necessary precautions with this.

If the dealer wants to get a second opinion and they will pay for it, sure let them!

spirityoda likes this.
  5. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

Thanks! First, yes, once I get back my first batch, I will upload pics. They are currently shipped via USPS and is in transit to me.

In reference to resubmitting by dealer of a coin deemed Not Genuine by NGC, I was asking because when I first started asking general coin questions, as a newbie, online, for some reason, it incited a lot of skepticism and what was seemingly unwelcoming tones and doubt. It was strange, and a bit discouraging, when posting for opinion and knowledge and getting responses that seemed to indicate there was some type of purposeful malevolent intent. I'm still not sure of the reasons, but I assume there must be historical reasons (even on a non-selling forum) - and didn't want to allow the dealer to resubmit if that equates or is perceived in a bad light.

Mkman123 likes this.
  6. Mkman123

@WannieA Don't mind some of those responses and just know that most of the members here mean well and are happy to provide their opinions. You should be ecstatic that many of the coins are authentic....too bad your dad didn't buy more! Chinese coins have gone up in value substantially!

Wasn't it exciting sending your coins to NGC for the first time? I recently sent 19 coins to NGC and I was checking the website daily on the status of my order haha.

7. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

LOL exciting and unnerving for sure! Of the 10, 9 were authentic. I am preparing a second batch this weekend, but it is A LOT of work - these submission forms definitely are not newbie friendly!

Mkman123 likes this.
  8. Mkman123

@WannieA More importantly, did it show the grades of the coins? Care to share that?

If you log in you can actually see the grades AND pictures taken by NGC! Before they ship they take pictures and also post the actual grades.

For me the 19 thai coins I sent in, all are authentic however 11 got grades like xf, vf,etc and 8 got the dreaded details grade. For most collectors, details grade is not liked but due to the rarities of some coins, you have to settle for details.

9. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

Hmmm... I don't see any pics or links to pics. I was waiting for the information (thinking it will be on the return items?) It looks like this. I'm hoping my new batch will not have any "cleaned" in the comment - ugh - praying that was not the kid in me back in the day trying to be assertive. Maybe they'll gather some dust over the next decade LOL!

Prepping new batch that I think uncleaned - Fatman $ with "O", Kirin 1 Mace, Manchurian 1 Mace (213A.3/213A.6), 1934 Junk Dollar, Yunnan 50 cent, and working on finding out the others still.

upload_2018-7-14_13-54-31.png upload_2018-7-14_13-56-22.png

Mkman123 likes this.
  10. Mkman123

@WannieA Here I'll show you

Go to :

https://www.ngccoin.com/

Go to verify ngc certification in the middle of the page.

Type in your invoice number followed by the line item so 2825225002 then put in details in the grade. Voila, a picture of your coin!

11. Mkman123

@WannieA Goodluck on your second batch! I have a second batch of 16 coins I'll be sending in soon.......hoping for even better grades with no details. I'm excited even thinking about it hahah.

The coins you and your father collected despite getting details are still great coins and are worth a great deal of money + easily resellable. Chinese coins are hot hot hot right now BUT there are some many fakes. The fact that yours are authenticated as real is a great thing and one day if you ever need to sell, chinese collectors will snap them up, it was a good thing you decided to get them authenticated. Can't wait to see how your second batch does!!!

Coin collecting is fun isn't it? Despite you being so young when your dad took you along while he hunted for coins, the history of many of these coins is great and amazing.

12. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

Thanks! Strange. The pics are super dark with a strange yellow tinting. Thinking it's just the lighting... compared to previous (pre-encapsulating) pics? (Pic 1/2 and 1,3,4 -left to right in Pic 3) A-Closeup2.jpg A-Closeup2 Back.jpg C-Front (2,3,5).JPG

Mkman123 likes this.
  13. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

14. Mkman123

NGC takes really bad verification pics hahaha. They do offer a new service called Photovision which is really nice. However the verification pics are great as they allow you to verify a coin. For example, I bought a slabbed coin from a dealer in China. China is known to fake even slabs, so I compared the picture with the NGC verification pictures, certain marks, dings, etc matched up to NGCs so I bought the coin. But if lets say the sellers coin looked nowhere near NGCs picture , like the coin has marks or a lack of marks that don't match up, I would have avoided it.

WannieA likes this.
  15. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

It depends on the coin. I don't know this series well enough to guess if it does or does not have the characteristics of an authentic or counterfeit piece. If your coin has one or more discernable features of a counterfeit than it's very likely that any TPG would reject it.

In my case, I use good references and have studied the characteristics of the 8 reales that I collect so I have a decent sense as to whether my coins have counterfeit features. It's those that I feel do not have counterfeit features that I'm willing to re-submit. For one coin, I sent it to NGC, PGCS and back to NGC before it was deemed authentic.

WannieA and Mkman123 like this.
  16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Send the Auto Dollar to ICG for a second opinion.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  17. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

I suppose if it's a norm, and if the dealer is willing to pay for it, I will make the drive back to SF. I wish I could download a program that just identifies a coin's authenticity, LOL. I did expect it to be genuine due to when it was purchased, but, honestly, I don't see why the experts (NGC) would say it's not genuine if it is. AND highly doubt, and probably correct to assume, they get it wrong. Thanks so much everyone for your feedback.

Mkman123 likes this.
  18. Mkman123

19. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

Yes! I'd viewed this when I was first trying to figure out what the coin was LOL. I'm hoping maybe NGC will give me some very general info on its decision. And to push my luck, I'm hoping by next week so I can determine if I'm going to SF to let the dealer resubmit. (Just being super-lazy with the thing they call work, LOL). He thinks it's because of the condition of the coin, but I personally do not think it's is good shape at all! It's like watching a Raider's game to the end even when they're too far down.

20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I am just catching the tail end of this. The Auto Dollar on page one is not real. I have purchased raw ones and had them authenticated by Chinese dealers and NGC. The think that gives them away is the edge, as well as the assay. They contain more than trace amounts of lead and are lower fineness than normal.

WannieA likes this.
  21. WannieA

WannieA ~ Thrive

Thanks for your feedback! Not sure what that means exactly, but I will accept your input. LOL. I believe this was purchased also through a dealer long ago, but yes, I think the lesson learned is to select dealers better! (or perhaps they are sometimes taken too!)

Draft saved Draft deleted