Chinese and/or Japanese - ID help please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by krispy, Nov 20, 2014.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

I've had these two pieces for a quite a very long time, but I've never gotten them fully identified so I ask for your help with identifying them, please.

I have a slim collection of Meiji era Japanese coins but I don't know earlier eras of Chinese and Japanese coins much. Ages ago, someone just said "China" for both of these coins, but I always doubted that. I didn't think of these as "Ancients" but it was suggested that I post in this forum. My apologies if this doesn't belong here.

Can anyone help ID these and/or confirm the info I have on the "wave" coin. I've given the sizes and weights of the coins pictured. Other information suggesting denomination, dates, and such is compared to items found online, but left with (?) as I couldn't confirm them. Also, any assistance with reading the characters as well as a translation is much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

#1 - Chinese cash coin (or a charm(?) as suggested by another member)
    Dia.: 23mm
    Weight: 3.8 grams
    Date: ?
    Denomination: ?
    Mint: ?
    Metal: ?
    Features: ?

[​IMG]

#2 -
    Japan - KANEI-TSUHO [ Nami or Wave-cash ]
    Dia.: 27 or 28mm
    Weight: 5.5g
    Thickness: 1mm (Approx. as I have no calipers.)
    Date: Edo from Meiwa 6 ~ Bunsei 3 (A.D. 1769 ~ 1820)?
    Denomination: 4 Mon(?) (about 1768)?
    Mint: Fukagawa, Edo (Tokyo)?
    Metal: AE (basemetal)
    Features: 11 Nami or ‘waves’

[​IMG]

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey krispy, perhaps you should post these on the World-coin site?

... ahaha => just jokes my friend

:woot:

... inside-joke, apparently ...

;)

Cheers, my friend

Ardatirion and krispy like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

#1 is a struck cash from 1889-90 so I will risk being called a modernist by answering here. Emperor De Zong 1875-1908; Guangzhou, Guangdong. As I read Hartill, the reverse reads 'Treasury scales one qian' which is the weight of the coin. Hartill comments that the unusual reverse met Imperial disapproval but was not immediately discontinued. He gives it a rarity 15 which is just one below the most common (16) suggesting it is not going to make you wealthy if it is genuine. Since the issue is struck and this one looks struck, it may well be real.

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This is an excellent reference for Chinese characters...

Collect89 likes this.
  6. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks very much guys!

7. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

The second one is certainly Japanese and likely from Edo, but I won't have access to any references for a little while.

To anyone who is interested in cast Japanese issues, check out David Hartill's new(ish) book on the series. He also has one out on Korean cash now as well, though I haven't had the opportunity to work with that one yet.

krispy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted