Chinese 18th century coin? With Arabic (?) writing?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Lanternhill, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Lanternhill

Lanternhill New Member

Hi all,
    I found an old Chinese coin in a coin shop for about $3 when I was younger. When I've looked up pictures it matches coins from the 18th century. However, the other side appears to have either curlicues or Arabic script (spelling out علمك or similar? I don't speak very good Arabic but that looks like the word "knowledge", specifically "your knowledge")
    Pics below. Can anyone help identify this coin's source, year, etc.?
    I found an identical looking coin (Chinese side, at least) online that was discovered on an Australian island and dated to the early 18th century...
    Thank you!
    Sabrina image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

I just recently started collecting Chinese coins and so am still a bit of a novice at this.

This is a Tong Bao (type of coin) of emperor Chien Lung who reigned from 1736-1795. On the reverse it isn't Arabic, that is the mint mark though I'm not sure which one that is. Hope this helps :)

p.s. The first picture is upside down ^^

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I will looks in my catalogs tomorrow

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Turn the reverse a quarter turn to the left. The left character is Bao, and the right is the mint. Looks like Beijing. THe obverse of the coin was written in Chinese, the reverse in Manchu, the language of the Ching dynasty. Btw, the obverse pic is upside down.

6. jcm

jcm Active Member

Qianlong (1736-1796), cast brass cash, Board of Revenue Mint (Boo chiowan), Beijing.

spirityoda and medoraman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted