China - Taiwan Province

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Nov 3, 2020.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

This is one of the coins that I have been hunting for years. Prices of many Chinese coins have escalated and even in the last couple of years, they have gone up quite fast! Have to sell off more duplicates in my collection...

Now the title "Taiwan" brings a hot political debate of its status - which is NOT the point of discussion. Instead I'll like to show a couple of historical coinage.

Taiwan was part of China until it was conceded to the Japanese (Treaty of Shimonoseki) during the late Qing dynasty in 1894-1895 (First Sino-Japanese war). Prior to this, there are some interesting numismatic coinage.

This is an early Taiwan province coin issued around KangXi era (~1667) and this is part of the poem series, issued by various provinces. This is one of the harder coins to find of this series. Note this has the character "Tai" of Taiwan.

[​IMG]

In 1838-1850s, due to a shortage of silver coins, a batch of "Old Man" dollar coins were issued. These were often heavily chopmarked and are very scarce in ANY condition - easily a 4-5 figure coin.

https://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins.pl?coin=21003

The last coin can be challenging but more doable is a silver 7.2 candareens coin issued around 1893-94 before Taiwan got conceded to the Japanese.

[​IMG]

Mine is scratched but I'm happy - this particular coin has been skyrocketing for the last few years.

The first coin after Taiwan called herself "Republic of China" is this

[​IMG]

Note the text reads "Taiwan province" in the middle of the island.

History is interesting isn't it?

robinjojo, mlov43, Chris B and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Very nice! Thank you for sharing and for the lesson. This is one of the most significant benefits of belonging to this chat group.

gxseries likes this.
  4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Interesting KangXi coin with "Tai" on the reverse. Haven't seen one before. Thanks for sharing.

gxseries likes this.
  5. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Nice report and great coins. I did a port call in Taiwan in 1982 while on a westpac cruise in the Navy. I know I saved some coins, I'll have to look for them tonight.

gxseries likes this.
  6. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

This is a coin I picked up last year,
    1966 Republic of Taiwan, 2000 Yuan
    Off metal strike I believe.

D75672B1-5835-4A4E-849F-BEDFBC67F84F.jpeg A2953D6F-3574-4E09-B564-63825DD7A6D9.jpeg

I have found very few examples of this coin.
    Not sure what it’s value might be.

gxseries and Parthicus like this.
  7. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Could this be a non-coin commemorative version?
    The gold one says 2000 yuan on the back in financial script,
    but this one says "紀念" (ji4nian4) = commemorative.
    Legend reads right-to-left on this, BTW.

Steve66 and gxseries like this.
  8. oabmarcus

oabmarcus New Member

I have two Kangxi "Tai" coins, but they are the small Tai variety. Still looking for a big "Tai".

9. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I once had an Old Man dollar, that turned out to be a fake made in New York in the 1950s. It was good enough to fool the ANACS in 1992, but not NGC or Steve Album in 2017.

10. oabmarcus

oabmarcus New Member

that's why i generally stay away from silver coins, way too many fakes!

Draft saved Draft deleted