China (Szechuan Province) - 1 Cash (1862-74) Verification

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Sep 30, 2018.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Good evening, everyone -

Just picked this up at a show today, wanted to verify the information on the 2x2 and make sure I've got the images rotated properly:

China (Szechuan Province) - C24-8 1 Cash.jpg

China (Szechuan Province)
    1 Cash
    C#24-8
    T'ung-chih T'ung Pao (1862-74)

Also, since this seems to be in much better than normal condition (at least, compared to what I've seen) - and disregarding the little bits of gunk that are stuck in some of the devices - is this coin worth sending in to NGC? I feel like this is the kind of item that would go nuts auction-style on eBay.

Thanks for your help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Sorry not genuine. It's a cast coin but that is clearly not anything like a cast coin...

4. stldanceartist

Interesting that you say that - it's coming from the old collection of a world coin dealer (who usually marks the copies/repros/fakes on the 2x2.)

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It's not that difficult to throw in counterfeits / replicas / junk in a pile of old collection...

6. stldanceartist

Would you mind helping me out by elaborating (via PM, if you want, I know people can be sensitive to pointing out counterfeit flaws in an open forum because counterfeiters read them and make improvements) what you see wrong with it?

(It's not my normal area of study, but I'm always willing to learn.)

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It's a modern fantasy piece. Machine struck cash coins were not yet a thing at this time. Also, the 4 character inscription is that of the 1644-61 cash types.

8. stldanceartist

Thanks guys for the input. I also received a more detailed response somewhere else. Not the end of the world - only paid $1 for it in a big box of mixed stuff - and I'm glad I didn't list a counterfeit for sale. Which is why you ask!

9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

What script is in the reverse side? It looks Manchu or some sort of soft-edged Tibetan or something

10. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Many Chinese fakes modern and contemporary are out there and collectors don't know the difference and are handed down as authentic many times. Usually not intentionally.

If you wish to collect Chinese coinage I recommend starting light with books and looking through alot of authentic examples. I have collected them for over 5 years and can notice most fake copper pieces.

Silver coins are another animal. Many that people assume fake are authentic and visa versa. The silver chinese dragon coins are some of the most counterfeited pieces in the world.

If you want a few authentic cash type coins to collect/learn enter my coin giveaway in the contest section and I will send you some examples.

Chris

11. stldanceartist

Hey Chris, thank you for that very kind offer. I will politely decline the free coins (happy for them to go to someone else) as I don't really have plans to start collecting them - at least not at this time - I just wanted to learn more about the piece above. Totally agree on the reading/educating - a user on Reddit pointed me to some web links, do you have any book recommendations? I'll see if my library can track them down for me.

I have a pile of about ten of the fake silver dragons/fat man dollars and smaller silver coins (along with some other fakes from different countries.) This coin above now goes in the fake bin.

12. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

That coin was not meant to fool anyone as far as it being currency, so I would hesitate to use the word “counterfeit” or “fake.” It was probably made for decoration or as a trinket.

13. jcm

jcm Active Member

These started appearing about 15 years ago for the crafts market. The speckled background is a dead give away. The first I saw them was in an A.C. Moore while I was stuck shopping with my wife. They were in a feng shui kit or something like that. After that I started seeing them on ebay. I have one myself from group lots. No mistaking it for the real thing once you handle the real thing.

14. Buffo Marinus

Buffo Marinus Member

I pick up a variety of these when I metal detect local mining areas that operated from the mid to late 1800s. Crushed brass opium containers and what we call Chinese "clackers" (cash coins) come up hot on my old metal detector. The Chinese were major contributors to the operation, health and well being of northern Australian mining fields prior to 1900. Chinese provided a major portion of the fresh vegetables and animal fodder for miners working in these once isolated parts of our country.

Buffo

15. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I need myself a "feng shui kit."

I'm facing East when I should be facing South... I'm just a mess.

Draft saved Draft deleted