China, Kai Yuan Tong Bao - I can use some help!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Can I ask your help? Here are three Chinese cash coins, of the Kai Yuan Tong Bao type minted in China between 621 and 907 AD. They were found in the Shash oasis, that is around Tashkent on the Silk Road, now Uzbekistan. Is it possible to date them or say something more about them?

8014 KYTB Bo ct.jpg

8015 KYTB Mid ct.jpg

8016 KYTB ond ct.jpg

Very regular coins, all weigh about 4 grams and measure 20 mm.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Did you find them or did someone else?

4. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, just a guy with a copy of Hartill, but here's my take:

Tall three may be the Middle Type (718-732 AD), based on the fact that the jing component of Kai touches the center hole, and the two vertical strokes of Bao do not touch the verticals. The middle coin, because of the dot under Tong, resembles type 14.12, which is of the Late Type (732-907 AD), but in Late Type the two strokes in the middle of Bao usually touch the verticals, which they clearly don't in your piece. Hopefully this was somewhat helpful?

5. Pellinore

This was very much helpful, thank you very much, @Parthicus. The early 8th century is the time of great changes in Central Asia: the old kingdoms fall and the Islam rises.
    And @Insider, no, I didn't find them myself, alas, I rarely move from my armchair.

Insider likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The reason I asked is their provenance. I've heard many coins from earlier centuries are often imitated and come with a story.

7. Pellinore

I have been very careful in buying Chinese cash coins, because I have insufficient knowledge to discern imitations from originals. So I only buy from insiders.

Draft saved Draft deleted