CHINA. Imitation bone cowrie money.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Oct 18, 2017.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Some form of shell money appears to have been used on almost every continent: America, Asia, Africa, and Australia. It was originally used as a commodity exchange, the shells having value as jewelry. “In China, cowries were so important that many characters relating to money or trade contain the character for cowry: 貝. Starting over three thousand years ago, cowry shells, or copies of the shells, were used as Chinese currency. The Classical Chinese character for "money/currency", 貝, originated as a pictograph of a cowrie shell.” [wiki] The ancient Chinese used three types of shell money: actual cowrie shells, imitations carved from bone or stone, and imitations cast from bronze, with inscribed variants known as Ant Nose Money.

Inscriptions and archaeological evidence show that cowrie shells were regarded as important objects of value in the Shang dynasty (c. 1766-1154 BC). In the Zhou period, they are frequently referred to as gifts or rewards from kings and nobles to their subjects. Later imitations in bone, stone or bronze were probably used as money in some instances. (Hartill, David. Cast Chinese Coins, p.3)

Here is a group of four imitation bone cowrie shells that come to me from my friend and fellow dealer Don Zauche, who has a lifetime of experience trading and authenticating ancient artifacts.

[​IMG]

CHINA. Bone imitation cowrie shell money.
    Four pieces, ranging from 2.3 to 3.4g, 23-27mm.
    3rd to 2nd millenia BC.
    Reference: Hartill 1.2 (p.3)
    Ex Don Zauche

Feel free to post any shell money you may have, or coins with shells on them. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

bone crawry shell (2).jpeg
    Western Zhou Dynasty
    Deer bone cowrie-shell imitation
    1046-771 BCE
    O: Vertical cut through face, some horizontal scratches (cuts?)
    R: Blank as made

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

COWRIE / SHELL:

upload_2017-10-18_12-53-46.png
    China ANCIENT Cowrie - BONE 2 holes for clothing or funeral bier 20mm Hartill 1-2v Coole 51-66

China Cowrie Shell Pottery.jpg
    China Cowrie Shell Pottery (real cowrie for comparison)

Got these from a collector friend in China...
    BUNCH OF CHINA COWRIE: Zhou Dynasty - 1046-771 BCE Bone, Jade, Clay, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ominus1, Curtisimo, Andres2 and 3 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

AE COWRIE - CHINA:

China Zhou -Chou- 1000-200 BCE Dynasty Bronze cowrie - some gold plate - VF - Rare.jpg
    China Zhou -Chou- 1000-200 BCE Dynasty Bronze cowrie

AES SHELL MONEY - ITALY:

Oscan-Latin Aes Formatum shell with Ribs 4th BCE.JPG
    Oscan-Latin Aes Formatum shell with Ribs 4th BCE

Oscan-Latin Aes Formatum shell 25mm 12.8g.JPG
    Oscan-Latin Aes Formatum shell 25mm 12.8g

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Wow, lots of cool shell money @Alegandron ! I didn't expect to find you down this rabbit hole.

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Well, China is a quiet off-shoot from my collection. I have been to China perhaps 50 or so times in my career, and have literally been all over the country. Over the last few years, I would pick up coin tidbits here and there. Gotta bunch of trinkets, souvenirs, etc. over my career... LOL, and some ungawdly stories that I can tell as I watched China change / transition from the 1980's through today! :)

Curtisimo, RAGNAROK and John Anthony like this.
  8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..he has been known to shake "Aleg andron"^^

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted