China, Empire Yr. 26 (1937) 20 fen

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by NPCoin, Sep 29, 2006.

1. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

If memory serves me correctly, at this time, Japan had control over parts of China, and general issue coinage other than the 1 fen was not issued. Now, this particular issue was also supposed to have been minted in nickel (which is magnetic). But, in 1936, the Tientsin mint produced 10 fen coins that were of a nickel alloy (and thus non-magnetic). The mint in Vienna did, however, produce a pattern coin based on this series in 1937, but was reportedly of nickel.

The coin I have was found in a lot of over 500 coins. It is dated empire Year 26 (1937), is non-magnetic, and does not bear the Vienna mint mark. Is it possible that some issues were minted in Peking or Tientsin prior to the Japanese occupation? Is the coin probably a fake? Anyone have any further information on the minted coins from China for this year? (It is documented that China did mint and issue 1 fen coins in 1937).

I added a closeup of the year. Notice the doubling on the x10 and the 6 looks like something else may have been there. Possible engraving on the coin or re-engraving of the dies? Any further information would be greatful (including actual weights and diameters for these coins). Thanks!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I assume that "empire" is a typographical error for "Republic".

I am not posting from home, so I have none of my reference books, but the obverse (without the patterned edge design) is a common design portraying Chiang Kai Shek. I don't need any of my books to state without a doubt that your coin is not a Japanese occupation issue. None of the Japanese occupation coins depicted Chiang Kai Shek, or any other Chinese Republican leader.

I'm not familiar enough with the series to recall whether there is a genuine one with a spade coin depicted on the reverse, but I don't recall ever seeing one.

4. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Yeah, that's funny. I had put empire in the post the whole time thinking republic. I think I've been around coins too long today :goofer:

It is definitely not Japanese occ. The possibilities I'm thinking is a tooled Year 37, except the fact that it is not magnetic. I believe that the issues through 1939 were of pure nickel. But, allude to the 10 fen of the year prior to Tiantsin's occupation (1937) and Tiantsin used a nickel alloy to mint the 10 fen coins of that year, which incidentally were not magnetic. I cannot find any other reference for chinese coins from that era (1936-1941) that had nickel alloy used.

I would assume, though, that there would have been some of the metal alloy left over from the Tientsin 10 fen minting that would have had to be used "somewhere". And it surely was not used after the occupation (1938-1939), until 1940 when a copper-nickel alloy became standard. That would be year 29, where the '9' could have been tooled into a '6', but I don't think the 20 fen was minted with the new alloy until year 30.

This coin has just been bothering me for months. Any additional information is most helpful. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted