Chile

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

50 centesimos 1971, aluminium-bronze, mintage - 58300000 pcs. Santiago Mint. The single release only. A portrait of the Manuel Rodriguez - national hero and one of the leaders of the Chilean Independence War.

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      65 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

1 escudo 1972, copper-nickel, mintage unknown. A coins of this type were minted at 1971-72 only. Santiago Mint. A portrait of Jose Miguel Carrera - on of the leaders of the Chilean Independence War and the Chilean dictator at 1811-1814.

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Siberian Man

5 escudos 1972, copper-nickel, mintage unknown. Santiago Mint. A coins of this type were minted at 1971-72 only. A portrait of Lautaro (Indian's chief of the struggle against a Spaniards at the second half of the XVIth century).

Attached Files:

• 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      66.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Siberian Man

6. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Is it not strange that O Higgins only appear on modern coinage?

7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I like that 1943 20 centavos coin. One of my favourites. Here is a later mint with nice luster.

Chile 1951 Centavos.jpg

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is a 1/2 real 1834 with the Volcano motif. I think this type is perhaps one of the most appealing of all chilean coinage.

Attached Files:

9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I think, but I am not 100% sure, his is the only portrait to appear on any chilean coinage. This may be due to the strong republican traditions in the country being averse to the portrait of any person on the countries coinage. Chile waited about 100 years after O'higgins death before putting his image on coins.

For those who may not know, Bernardo O'Higgins was the son of a creole lady and a spanish viceroy, who led the country to Independence from Spain in 1818.

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

;):smile Nice stuff Eugene. Here is a little bit of Chile.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Siberian Man likes this.
  11. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I agree. Love the volcanic motif. Fresh change to previous Spanish king on head.

12. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Eduard, if someday you feel like getting into a new hobby, sell me you Chile coins. Seems like you have some good stuff there. :smile

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:Good post E!!!:thumb:

14. Siberian Man

Thanks gentlemen.

15. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

A final note

After the 2008 50 peso error, there was a batch of high relief 2009 50 pesos coins struck. They have clear details and are very lustrous with nice blue tone. Here is an example I found in circulation. Both coins have minimal wear. I have noted one for sale on the internet. A nice collectable.

2009 high relief.jpg Normal.jpg

16. Siberian Man

1 peso 1949, copper, weight - 7,5 g., size - 25 mm, thickness - 2 mm, mintage - 7100000 pcs. A coins of this type were released at 1942-1954. Demonetized at January 1 1960.

Attached Files:

• 57.jpg
      57.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
    • 58.jpg
      58.jpg
      File size:
      73.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Siberian Man

5 centavos 1928, copper-nickel, weight - 2,1 g., size - 16,5 mm, thickness - 1,3 mm, mintage - 5197000 pcs. Engraver: Oscar Roty. Coins of this type were released at 1920-23, 1925-28, 1933-34 and 1936-38. Demonetized at January 1 1960.

Attached Files:

• 61.jpg
      61.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
    • 62.jpg
      62.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That hammer and sickle on this coin and a few others from Chile made me wonder. I know that the symbol was introduced in Russia (then RSFSR) shortly after the October revolution, and then used in the USSR and some other communist countries. The funny thing is, you can also find it on this coin from 1895 for example: http://www.moneta-coins.com/photopost/data/600/Chile1895.jpg

Guess it also refers to some kind of unity of farmers and (industrial) workers. But I am still surprised to see it on these early coins ...

Christian

19. Siberian Man

Yes Christian. I suppose so too.

20. Siberian Man

50 centavos 1942, copper, weight - 4 g., size - 20,5 mm, thickness - 1,66 mm, mintage - 4715000 pcs. Single release. Demonetized at January 1 1960.
    63.jpg 64.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted