Chile - NCS Conservation? Residue (Revisited)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by paddyman98, Mar 25, 2018.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    Welcome to my 13,000th Post :woot:
    160349-17XGcE1384880975-1.jpg
    Thank you for all the great members, newbies, moderators and even trolls who make the time spent on CoinTalk a great one! :rolleyes:

Stork likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

Today I have this Chile 1932 Un Peso. It was submitted to NGC together with some other coins I have shown recently. It was not attributed but given the following attribution -
    RESIDUE :(

My question is.. What the heck is NCS Conservation? Does my coin have hope?
    (Yes I know... Call them!)
    20180325_081753-1.jpg 20180325_081811-1.jpg 20180325_081838-1.jpg 20180325_081851-1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  4. paddyman98

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Congratulations on your milestone paddy. I. for one, truly enjoy your posts, photos and all you do to help here. NCS is Numismatic Conservation Services, establish in 2001. NGC uses this acronym but there is a NCS also registered in Great Britain, a bit confusing as both seem to do the same thing, conserve coins. Edit-So it appears NGC is offering to get that residue off for you as long as you are willing to pay the extra fees.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    paddyman98 likes this.
  6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

If you have some epsom salt, acetylene, and a snorkle you can do the same job for free!
    J/K:troll:
    Seriously though, start with distilled water and then pure acetone.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

NCS does good work on things like residue. Nowadays I'm likely to try a little acetone myself but I've had them recommend services and remove ill defined gunk with good result. You never know what might be under it on some things, but if it's a surface contaminant bad enough to preclude grading, it might be worth it.

I did have them offer to 'conserve' a nice toner of a coin that would only become a bright white widget (of which I already had one in a higher grade). It was graded a 65 along with an (?email) offer to send it to NCS. In all liklihood it could have been a 66 I suppose. But it was attractive (to me) 'character' toning and I already have a top pop 68. So why ruin it?

That said, if your peso was mine I'd try the acetone, and if that didn't fix the problem, then I'd do NCS.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@paddyman98 Any updates on this? Did you conserve it? What were the other coins you submitted?

Draft saved Draft deleted