Child is interested in Kennedy Halves

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dimeguy, Jul 5, 2022.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So, long story short(ish), my wife and I are in the process of adopting a couple of children from the foster care system (4 and 6 years old). The 6 year old was watching some cartoons before bed last night and I was sitting with him on the couch, looking through Cointalk as I do. Before I knew it he was sitting beside me, looking at my phone and asked, "What is that?" Then came, "Can I look at some coins too?" So, we looked through the Newest Acquisition thread, thinking it would give him a variety. Eventually he came across one and excitement broke, "Whoa! Who is the guy with the mohawk?!" I explained it was a Kennedy half and then he wanted to know if I had any. I showed him some circulated ones, the uncirculated ones from my mint sets, proofs from the proof sets, and he was all aglow. But alas, bedtime! So, we put things away for another day.

I came home from work tonight and while making dinner he asked, "Can I do a set of half dollar coins like your pennies?" My heart lept! So, now I am tempted to go back to my intro to coins...roll hunting. Get him an album, roll hunt with him. I just want to give him the satisfaction of placing coins in holes and not having to dive all too deeply into varieties, grades, etc. Just fun time with him.

So question is: how to roll hunt? Should I return the searched coins to the same bank? Different branch to change them up? Any advice on doing an elementary Kennedy Half set? Too ambitious? Thanks for any advice. Honestly, I am just thrilled he thought about it enough throughout the day to ask me to do a set with him!

Mr. Flute, 132andBush, JPD3 and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

That's cool to hear!
    You probably want different banks (don't return the coins to the same one you got them from). And the set is doable as long as the banks have the coins (most of these are common, outside of the silver and the 21st century examples that were not intended for circulation).

4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

First, @dimeguy congrats on your adoptions. May your foray into parenthood be rewarding to both you and your wife and both the children. Lots of love and good health to you all.

Second, the connection you've already made with your 6 y/o is awesome. My 6 y/o grandson is just as enthusiastic about the hobbies I've introduced him to. My heart swells when he asks Pop Pop about coins, metal detecting, fossils, minerals, rocks, and our favorite, the Yankees. <3

Hopefully you'll be able to stay involved in all the activities your little ones participate in. I committed myself to being 'all in' when my first was born. I didn't want to look back on my children's youth and formative years through the eyes of Kodak. I wanted the memories to be 100% involvement. I was scorekeeper for his ice hockey team. I was coach and manager of countless little league teams. I was the treasurer of their swim teams. I must have thrown thousands upon thousands of ground balls, fly balls and batting practice pitches. Swim meets were typically Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays. All three days in hot, humid, terribly hard seats waiting for my kids to swim an event that lasted anywhere from 28 seconds to 3 minutes. All because they loved swimming and wanted their dad to be there, as much as I wanted to be there.

@dimeguy what you and your wife are doing, adopting foster children, is an incredibly selfless and loving gesture you should be proud to announce. Best of luck to you and your family.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

God bless you my friend. There is a special kind of reward that comes from bringing kids into the family. My wife and I in a moment of senility did the same many years ago and you cannot measure the reward you will receive in words. That is until they reach pre-teen.... But lets not go there... LOL.....

I would assume you have a bank that you have a relationship with now. I would stop at the local donut store. Pick up a dozen fresh donuts and walk in the door of the bank with a smile and simply tell them what you want to do. You have a youngster that wants to peruse half dollars and would they sell you a few rolls. It's always worked for me. I even have the ladies setting aside oddball change they get for me. Congratulations!

Danomite, JPD3, green18 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

First of all . . . Good on you both for adopting some of the many children without parents. I hope all of your experiences are good ones.
    As for CRH, I'd start off slow so he isn't overwhelmed with it, meaning a roll or two before you go nuts and order a box from the bank. Make a Kennedy half a reward along the way and be sure to include your other child, even if they aren't interested right now. A family that collects together, stays together. LOL Good luck.

jamor1960 likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You and the wife, are lovely, kind people @dimeguy. I'm lost for words.......

Danomite and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So, just an update: After hearing, "Did you get any coins yet? Did you go to bank yet? Do you have any half dollars? for nearly 4 days straight, I talked to my bank. I offered a small offering from a local bakery as suggested, and they agreed to order a box of halves, and I could just take what I wanted, when I wanted, so long as I didn't dump them back to them. I took 10 rolls and the boy was thrilled. We spent 3.5 hours looking over coins, asking/answering questions, then he wanted to look more at my coins, it was a really good and fun time! I was amazed at his questions: "Why did they put him on a coin? If D is for Denver, what is FG for? What do these numbers (in the album) mean? Why did they change the back? (for bicentennial)" It was just enlightening to see him so engaged in it. I gave him his first...71 D I am sure my grandfather probably dug out of circulation. It was also funny to listen to the process of it all. As a collector, I would not dream of putting a coin with green and blue marker on the obverse in my collection. His thought was, "I don't like the marks, but I need the date, so in it goes!" Thanks all for the encouragement and he has already asked to do it again next weekend, so we both cannot wait!

His first (of many I hope)!

Thor coin 1.jpg

Serious business here!

Thor coin 2.jpg

The album he most completed. PS: Sorry for pictures being so large. At work I cannot edit.

Thor coin 3.jpg

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Why?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;)

Seriously, tho'- that's awesome!

ldhair likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It is great to see someone that young so excited about coins instead of the tv with a video game.

masterswimmer and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted