Chicago International Coin Fair

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mlov43, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'm not as particular as you are about the grade so I don't have as much trouble finding coins that I like. In my opinion I got some good deals. Is SA's economy going poorly? That could be a reason for a price decline.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I presume South Africa has taken a big hit from the recent commodity weakness and the collectors I know there claim this is the reason for the recent weakness in the coin market but I don't believe it.

Unlike the US and a few other countries, the local collector base isn't large enough where there is any demonstrated correlation between economic conditions and the price level. My explanation for it is a combination of adoption of TPG, the run up in gold and silver prices and the prior national mania in the 2008 90th BD Mandela 5R (which accounts for over 50% of the 390,000+ coins in the NGC population report) created a (limited) bubble in Union and ZAR coins. Metals are in a bear market (for now) and the Mandela mania is over resulting in a "buyer's strike" and speculators dumping their "investments".

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Just went to the CSNS coin show in Schaumburg, Illinois.

Never been to such a large show before! Not many world coins around, other than high-buck stuff and ancients. Even the dealers selling Lincoln Cents only seemed to bring their best, highest-priced examples. Hard to find what I was looking for! I did see Charmy (the Penny Lady) there and wanted to say hi, but she was busy with a customer for the longest time.

I didn't get any world coins, but I did manage to find a few Lincoln Cents (dates 1909 VDB, 1910-S, 1911-S, 1913-D, 1924-D) in EF. So, not a total loss...

stoster38 likes this.
  6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I also went. I posted some of my pickups in the Newest World Coin thread, but I agree there weren't many foreign coins, and most of what I did see was ridiculously priced. I got a few though. All you need are a few dealers. I ignored the vast majority of them completely.

Draft saved Draft deleted