Chicago coin expo

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Prokles, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Prokles

Prokles Well-Known Member

Hi,

Due to an overload of activities, I haven't posted any message for a quite long period... but I am back :)
    I will be in Chicago next week and I would like to seize this opportunity to participate to the Gemini auction and to visit the Chicago coin expo.
    Has anyone ever been to the coin expo?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Glad u r back!

Prokles likes this.
  4. Prokles

I will try to be more active. Anyway, I remain involved in Numismatics (probably more than ever as I will probably conduct a Ph.D in this discipline)

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do you have statistics on how many Ph.D's in Numismatics there have been worldwide/by nation in recent years and what aspects of Numismatics were considered Ph.D level? How many universities have such a program?

6. Prokles

I don't have any statistics about Ph.D.'s in Numismatics. My feeling is that the discipline has grown and is much more 'popular' than a few decades ago. I live in Belgium where there are a few renowned numismatists and don't know how many universities offer such a program. Most of the time universities do not offer a full complete numismatic program but, rather one or two introductory courses.
    Mainly in Greece (but also in ANS), there are also a few summer numismatic seminars offered which are a good way to learn a lot over a small period of time. These seminars are also an opportunity to build network.

7. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I went last year and had a great time but I'm not able to attend this year. I hear the Palmer House is a great venue for this year. Give us a report when you get back.

Prokles and Alegandron like this.
  8. Prokles

Thank you for your feedback! Even if I've been collecting for 4 years (which is not a lot), I've never been to a coin show. So I am quite excited!

Johnnie Black and Alegandron like this.
  9. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

@Prokles I live in Chicago and went to the show last year. I am attending this year if all schedule issues work out. Last year I thought the show was good. Most of the faces that you would have seen at the old CICF were still there. There were some issues because of the new venue space last year that made it a little less than ideal. This year, there should not be those same issues. The Palmer House Hotel is a beautiful architecturally significant hotel in the heart of downtown. It should be a great venue for the show.

Feel free to send me a private message. I can of course help with things about Chicago and also some advice on dealers and what not. In terms of successful, I found more coins I wanted to buy than money to buy them with. I collect lower end to mid range coins and found plenty to want to buy and be excited about.

Theodosius and Prokles like this.
  10. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a sense of to what extent numismatics PhDs also collect?

11. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

There is a long line of renowned Belgium numismatists. Here are a couple items in my collection featuring RENIER HUBERT GHISLAIN CHALON (1802 - 1899)

[​IMG]
    A carte-de-visite portrait of the Belgian numismatist, photographer and bibliophile Renier Chalon who has inscribed and signed the carte recto in the lower margin. The inscription reads: ‘Souvenir d’amitié à mon confrère M. Ducpétiaux / R. Chalon’ [English: A souvenir of friendship to my colleague Monsieur Ducpétiaux].

[​IMG]
    Silver commemorative medal of the Belgian Numismatic Society
    Obv: VISITE DE LA SOCIETE ROYALE DE NUMISMATIQUE BELGE • Lille • surrounding Flanders coat of arms
    Rev: In round SOUVENIR DU 7 MAI 1882 followed by three lines across field PRÉSIDENCE / DE / RENIER CHALON and below, a little ornamented cross; in exergue, on a banner, the name of the member present A. DEMUNYNCK

If you have a little bit of time you can read more about my interest in him in this thread which is off topic to the ancients forum.

Welcome back and I hope you'll give us an update on your experience.

TJC, TypeCoin971793, Prokles and 6 others like this.
  12. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

This is certainly true. I'm seeing many more dissertations in classics and archaeology focus on numismatics. My dissertation, in humanities, also has a strong numismatic component.

13. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Today is the first general day of the CCE, and I'll be heading over this afternoon. Thought I would attend some of the second session of the Gemini sale this eve. Will gather my thoughts and impressions and give you a thumbnail tomorrow if I'm not at the show again. It runs through Saturday.

Anyone want to do lunch on Friday?

Prokles likes this.
  14. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

I’m heading there now. I have to work tonight so can only hang around for a few hours.

15. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

He looks exactly like Christopher Lee!

Theodosius, dadams and nicholasz219 like this.
  16. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Do you mean U.S. Civil War Gen. Robert E. Lee? He looks nothing like Christopher Lee (the actor) to me!

17. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

No I meant the actor:
    upload_2018-4-19_19-27-5.png

18. Carausius

Hmmm, I guess I haven't seen Christopher's picture for many years!

19. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Christopher Lee should be on a coin, IMO. He led a fascinating life.

Theodosius likes this.
  20. Prokles

I've already visited the show yesterday. I've seen some interesting coins and will come back today in the afternoon (probably after the lunch). However I have to point out that many many dealers offer coins recently purchased at auctions (cng, heritage, etc.) where they add a commission (ranging from 20-100% of the purchased price). A good example was 2 coins from the last CNG e-auction that are now sold twice the realized price...

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  21. Carausius

Nothing wrong with this. Coin dealers have done this for generations. Recognizing good value at an auction is one way they add to stock. I have no problem with dealers marking-up auction wins to whatever retail price they think the market will bear. I have often appreciated the opportunity to have a second, retail chance at such coins when my auction money was focused on other targets.

Theodosius, Carthago, Orfew and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted