Chicago ANA World's Fair of Money Show

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BigTee44, Jul 26, 2015.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at attending my first big show which is going to be held in Chicago in the Middle of August. I see it starts on Tuesday and runs through Sunday. I'm wondering if there are any downfalls of attending the show in the first two days? I was thinking of going on Tuesday or Wednesday as I can take the train from Michigan to Chicago for $34 each way(can't drive there that cheap!) I'm not looking to spend a lot, I've just wanted to attend a big show for awhile now and I might be able to make this one happen.

Any advise on attending the Chicago show?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I do believe Wensday is first day for the public unless you buy the early bird pass.

4. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

What kind of advice are you looking for? Are you going to stay near the Rosemont area?

It is one of the best shows in the US, and everything you want to see or look for will be there.

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If you go without money, you'll kick yourself for not bringing any.

If you go with lots of money, you'll kick yourself for bringing too much.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Go Wednesday. If you're taking a train into downtown, you'll need to get to the CTA Blue Line and take that in the direction of O'Hare to the Rosemont stop ($2.50 fare, I think). It's about a 40 minute trip from downtown.

As for advice on what to see while you're there, that depends on how much you want to drool at stuff (see the Pogue coins at Stacks/Bowers) or if you're looking to buy stuff (be choosy, as there is a lot of stuff to buy).

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

You can never go with too much . ;)

8. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

The Kaiser Collection of German Gold Coins will be there up for auction. Check them out if you go.

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

You must have strong will power . . .

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you go without money it's not worth going so stay home and save the cost of the trip. Only go without money if all you plan to do is look but be prepared, you'll find a coin you can't live without and then you're stuck.

You can never take too much money. Just demonstrate a little willpower.

I always take too much. Usually go home with a wad as I didn't spent it all. Just cause you take it doesn't mean you have to spend it.

I do this with all the coin, antique and rock/gem shows I go to. They're fun but you always find something.

Go, take money and then take extra. Enjoy!

rzage likes this.
  11. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Bring your carry weapon!

OdedPaz likes this.
  12. Be sure to look at all the exhibits; that won't cost you anything. Also, bring some of your duplicates to sell so that you'll then have an excuse to buy.

OdedPaz likes this.
  13. OdedPaz

OdedPaz Elongated Designer&Roller

You are not allowed to have any weapon inside the convention center... Well, at least one that the many guards can see.

I don't like it at all, but there are stickers about a "no carry zone" on each of the doors... :-(

14. fish4uinmd

Go BIG or stay home!!

15. fish4uinmd

I'm sure all the thugs that plan to rob you will heed those stickers!

OdedPaz likes this.
  16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I wish !!!!!;)

17. chip

chip Novice collector

Because of work committments I usually go on saturdays, a lot of the dealers are gone by then, even Harlan Berks is sometimes gone early saturday. Usually the ana seems to me to be a sellers show, if you have something to sell. Dont miss thecollectors exhibits, they can open your head up to parts of the hobby you may not have considered.

18. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I think you will have a blast...

1. Don't expect to see EVERYTHING... you can go wide (making a quick pass past all the dealers) or go deep (spend time with the ones selling what interests you).

2. Deep: Go through the dealer list and figure out where the ones that interest you will be. Check out their ads in the pubs to see what they sell...

3. Don't forget to visit the less expensive tables... nothing at that show will be exceptionally cheap, but there is lots of good value.

4. Don't be afraid to ask questions. As things ebb and flow through the day, many of the dealers will have time to do some education.

5. Visit the world mints. Those folk are there to show off the really cool work they are doing and are justifiably proud.

6. Definitely checkout the museum and the exhibits.

7. Have a modest list of things you are looking for and know what you are willing to spend.

8. Bring (or buy) a good loupe

9. Comfortable shoes

10. have FUN

sgt23, green18 and Silver Planet like this.
  19. OdedPaz

OdedPaz Elongated Designer&Roller

And... most dealers will give you a small discount, just for asking, so ASK and you shall receive (in most cases).

BUT, warning... don't be a swine... limit yourself to a small reasonable discount, so if the price is $27, ask for $25... If the price is $367, ask for $350...

If the price is $278 and you ask to get it for $125, you will, most probably, be "gone with the wind"...

Silver Planet likes this.
  20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

The education you get will be worth the attendance. This is one show I don't miss. I would tell you the coins you see are amazing along with the displays. If you are new to the hobby, you will be excieted even more. If there is a need here is the supply. I don't think you know the wonderful experience you are in for. This will be my 16th attendance. Go for it!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Silver Planet and rzage like this.
  21. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

One thing you should consider doing is going to the Heritage lot viewing. Say you are into Barber halves, they will show you all you ask for, box by box. Seeing a bunch of the same series one after the other can be quite educational. Some look way better than the online pics, some worse. Nothing beats examining coins in hand.

I like $20 gold and Morgans. Looking through the lots, I found some gems and some dogs that I am glad I looked at before bidding.

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted