Featured Chicago ANA Show Report

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tom B, Aug 10, 2014.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I even have several witnesses, one of which is here on CT.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Why did they target you?

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

That is ***** ridiculous. I guess the ANA is not done with their lawsuits....

Seems like they must enjoy being in litigation.... :confused:

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Basically, when we saw that the line was too long and we weren't going to stand in it, we went over to another door to wait to be let in because we were dealers. Unfortunately, this caused some confusion and people started to line up behind us. We told them that this wasn't the coin line, but people still started to line up behind us. So when one of the big dealers saw this, he decided to come over to us with two of his goons and try to threaten and intimidate us. We are pretty big guys ourselves so we didn't back down which they didn't like. They went over to the police and tried to have them remove us, but the police said we weren't breaking any laws. (This is the heresy part) This dealer (or someone associated with them, pulled aside this Rhonda lady or someone with her group and complained about us. That is when one of her assistants (or someone associated with the ANA) came out and told us that we were not getting any coins today. THis person was the one who relayed to us what had transpired. He said basically they had organized the line with the ANA's blessing and that we were trying to go around their system so Rhonda made it very clear that if were weren't in the "official" line that were were not to receive any coins. At that point, the ANA security was hoovering over us like hawks. Needless to say, I was very upset about the whole thing. I am a life member of the ANA and did not like how I was treated.

6. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

My two cents worth, I blame people who spend crazy money for plastic. Worse yet crazy money for bullion in plastic.

BTW, I enjoyed the show. I was able to buy a couple things, visit with some great people, see a lot of amazing coins, and best was I went to the show on Friday after the madness.

7. statequarterguy

Big money controlling the ANA, huh? As was mentioned, big money will always try to control/benefit unfairly. Since we are, at least in theory, still a democracy, keep up the good fight for the little guy.

But, not really sure, it sounds like you had no intention to purchase a coin, since you were not in the coin line.

8. statequarterguy

Anyone ever watch the show, American Greed? Even though this hobby has always been about greed, it’s seems to out do itself every year. When the market crashes for “Beanie Labels”, we may see some of the dealers that promoted them on that show. Yeah, fits the MO perfectly with all the scams, scoundrels & suckers.

Yeah, yeah, with dealers hiring the homeless to stand in line, then selling one of the coins to a sucker for 100k, American Greed may be interest. Not sure yet, but it would be great for the show if the sucker who paid 100k was retired and spent the remainder of his funds on this coin. I think I'll write to them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

There wasn't any other way to get a gold JFK other than sleeping outside overnight and get wet when the sprinklers went on early in the AM. There WAS NO OTHER, "dealer" way. If you tried to get a GJFK without camping out all night, they (Rhonda et al) would have been CORRECT to ban you. You should have lost your badge. I do believe you that you were in a non-JFK line. I myself had to push my way through several hundred street urchins to get to work on Tuesday morning, many of them yelling in English, Spanish and Chinese that I was jumping the line.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

"Beanie Labels"? Ladies and gentlemen, GENIUS.

11. statequarterguy

Well, thanks, I'd like to take credit for that term, but I did see it used in another thread.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Still trying to figure if that is a positive reaction or a negative.

:)

13. statequarterguy

You mean you didn't lose your "butt" collecting Beanie Babies?

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thankfully, NO!

My daughter had one, and I think my son had one.

15. statequarterguy

Having collected US Coins for over 40 years, something I will always remember, that drives my purchases, is the coin has to be a US government issue, not a private company issue. Aside from the fact that a private company issue is NOT a coin, normally, once the year ends, so does production of that US coin, so there will never be more of that coin made – a nice guarantee, essential for future appreciation. This guarantee does not exist for private company issues. Worse yet, for all the “special” labels made by private companies at their whim, the labels have no intrinsic value, hence they are equivalent to Beanie Babies.

16. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

17. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

would have been a non issue if it wasn't for "slab collectors"

18. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Yeah but I saw a whole box at Silvertowne that were SP69. Wonder how they got those?

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This kind of greed and avarice gives collecting a black eye.......

Makes me happy that I wasn't at the show.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Those were the "rejects", the "good ones" the 70's were elsewhere set aside for special higher prices.

Mr Bellman, you say that the ANA has told the Mint "NEVER AGAIN" but in this weeks coin world the Mint is discussing a new special coin release to be done at the 2015 ANA. Just a case of a story being filed on deadline before the "NEVER AGAIN" decision was made, or the Mint ignoring the ANA decision?

21. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

That was being blogged before the NEVER AGAIN.

Draft saved Draft deleted