cherub and genius

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by doppeltaler, Aug 26, 2016.

1. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

Here is my latest purchases and they both contain angels. One shows winged genius of France inscribing the constitution on a tablet and the other cherub and various educational instruments. I really wanted these two for quite long time at a reasonable price and this was the time.

GERMANY. Wurzburg. 2 Taler, 1786-MP. Franz Ludwig von Erthal (1779-95). NGC AU-50.
    Dav-2906; KM-427. SCARCE Double Taler. An impressive design featuring a cherub and various educational instruments: Globe, book and Map upon an altar. Pleasing granite tone. NGC AU-50

wurzburg-2thaler.jpg

FRANCE. Ecu (6 Livres), 1792-A. Louis XVI (1774-93). NGC AU-55.
    KM-615.1; Dav-1335; Gad-55. A momentous year in French history, with the revolution opening up unabated followed by the fall of the monarchy in the summer of 1792.
    Thick glossy dark gray patination atop original surfaces. Well struck with light even wear and flawless rims. NGC AU-55.
    1792-6livres.jpg

The 2 thaler is really thick and is housed in an extra thick NGC slab, see the difference with a regular slab. Any idea how i can find the wight and thickness of the coin ? None of the sources including Krause show the weight.
    IMG_5412.JPG

jj00, sonlarson, Dave M and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Those are both very nice coins. The Genie de la Liberte design on the Ecu is specially appealing.

Regarding the weight of the Doppelter Konventionstaler, the weight of a number of samples listed in recorded auctions varies between 55,95 and 56,23 grams.
    I'll see if i can find a reference for the nominal planchet thickness.

4. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

Thank you Eduard. You are right about the weight as i just found a reference on another forum.

5. RTScott1978

RTScott1978 UK/Commonwealth Collector

Both very impressive coins, congratulations on the purchases!

6. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Regarding weight, I don't know. I've searched for the ASW of Mexicos 10 Nuevo pesos, 20, and 100 pesos - ie the sterling center ASW - but I couldn't find it either. I think Krause is lazy in some circumstances and doesn't think anyone will notice if some things are omitted

7. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

10= 0.1667 ASW
    20= 0.2500 ASW
    100= 0.5486 ASW

8. joecoincollect

Cool! How did you get those numbers? Thanks

9. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Actually I did the math incorrectly for the 100 Pesos. Should be 0.5000 ASW

Center is 0.925 Silver X 16.812g (weight of center) divided by 31.1034 = 0.49999

After 2007 the weight of the Silver center increase to 20.1753g which would be 0.6000 ASW

ASW for 10 and 20 are listed in Krause

10. joecoincollect

Nice. I could've sworn the 10 ASW was not listed but maybe I confused it with the 100. Thanks for info, good to know. I like these coins because they're pretty and are the last vestiges of circulating silver coinage.

Draft saved Draft deleted