Cherrypicked: 1942/1 D Mercury

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bqcoins, May 19, 2012.

1. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I have always searched 1942 mercury dimes for the ever elusive 42/1 or 42/1 D. I have mostly been disappointed, but then again whom among us probably hasn't been disappointed in not being able to find major rarities at will. Well, there have been a couple of people who told me I was chasing a pipe dream, all the overdates had been found, if there were any out there, they were squirreled away, that kind of thing. basically it was darn near impossible to find one in the existing piles of mercs out there. Well, I didn't listen to them and have continued to search all the 1942 dimes I can get my hands on, every box, scrap bin, set, you name it. Well I hit the jackpot with my third one this year. It is the nicest by far, the other 42/1-D was a Fine maybe a bit better and the 42/1 was maybe XF. I know this coin has a small abrasion on the reverse, but in hand it is barely noticeable and the pics have washed out a bit of the luster. I make the coin to be about AU-53 or 55. I pulled it from a scrap bin, something that would have been emptied and sent to the smelter in a week or so. Surprised me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Way to go bq , what are the odds , and you beat them . Congrats buddy .

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Nice, I've been looking for either of those too, but nothing. That's unbelievable, finding three, where have you been looking?

Want to be REALLY disappointed? Try finding a 1969-s DDO cent!

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Looks like the real deal. Congrats! (Your third one this year??!! Amazing.)

6. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Persistence pays off. Congrats on your find!

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

congrats, BQ

Did you get my e-mail?

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Nice pick. Congratulations! Are you going to keep looking for them?

9. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Good deal, BQ! hope you find some more. Patience pays.

Reminds me of a 21'd dime in EF I picked up for about $ 15 from a bulk lot many years ago.

12. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

im glad you got a deal.. i cannot afford to buy anymore coins.all my extra cash goes to my daughter

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Nice find.
    I gave up finding these years ago. Glad it paid off for someone.

14. petro89

petro89 Member

Wow. Awesome!

15. bqcoins

It's funny because I've been searching for them since probably the early 90's when I found them in the redbook and nary a one til March of this year when I found two in the scrap bucket, both a 42/1 and 42/1-D. the way I figured it happened is the dealer bought a complete set in an album, the album didn't have spots for them and they sat in the last few empty spaces that most albums have. the dealer popped the good dates and dumped the rest of the non-MS coins into his scrap bucket. Along I came and like always I ask how much for scrap, we agree on a X face amount and I pick. That way I can cherry pick on the cheap. I figured that is how it happened because I also pulled a 45 micro S. Those little beauties, which got turned in a week made the substantial down payment on my daughter's braces. This one, found in the same scrap bucket just a little more than two months later is going directly into my collection.

16. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

Directly into the collection? No stops at a TPG in the future?

17. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

18. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Wow! that one also has nicely struck bands.

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

20. bqcoins

Nah, I don't do a lot of submitting unless the coin is something I might flip. The diagnostics on coins like these are near impossible to fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted