Chemical Discoloration? Silver

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RIchard Abanes, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Hello All,

A friend gave me this 1999 Silver Dollar (bullion?). I know it's not valuable beyond its 1 oz. silver worth. But my curiosity is about the odd staining on both the front and back (see reverse photo). Is that mold? A chemical? Moisture? Also, does it take away from the basic silver value? It is in a sealed capsule. Thanks. asdasdasdasd.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Nice fingerprint on it....
    looks like someone spilled something on it.
    It's worth silver melt.
    You may be able to get rid of that stuff by giving it a dip in pure acetone. Not sure though if the fingerprints have etched into the surface of the coin.

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

its residue from improper storage/moisture etc worth what silver eagles are going for $30-$50

5. potty dollar 1878

someone had silver eagles and milk for a snack:) until it broke there teeth could you get a picture of the obverse.

AmishJedi likes this.
  6. AmishJedi

AmishJedi Well-Known Member

So THAT is where the term "milk spots" came from. :)

William F, Dialupsux and Evan Saltis like this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not even close to $50. Silver melt is like $26 right now. I highly doubt OP could sell it for more than melt. Especially with the stains.

AmishJedi and Evan Saltis like this.
  8. potty dollar 1878

Well if op puts it up on ebay it will sell that high
    people don't care about all that stuff on it they just want silver i haven't seen any 1oz silver sell for under $30 in the past 5 days the only ones that are selling for bellow $30 are 1/2 ounce coins and bars

John Burgess and AmishJedi like this.
  9. AmishJedi

AmishJedi Well-Known Member

https://bullionexchanges.com/learn/removing-milk-spots-from-silver-coins

Interesting article on conserving fingerprints/milk spots on silver.

CAUTION: Before everyone has their front lobes explode, I do NOT condone cleaning those key-date and/or expensive coins w/numismatic value (in addition to the current melt values). I do this with my non-Mint issued silver rounds & tokens. Do so at your own risk. :)

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's silver so it's worth melt value. That's around $25.00 I think. Silver price is changing constantly.

Draft saved Draft deleted