Chemical damage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jason is new, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jason is new

Jason is new Member

I found this nickel at my job and decided to keep it. I noticed a little bit of green on the coin, the most noticeable on camera being to the left of monticello. Is this due to chemcial damage?
    15672804658221142379682.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That could be residue from anything.You didn’t mention this in your post. You do realize that you have a war nickel don’t you? Awesome piece of history you are holding there.

eric6794 likes this.
  4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Nice circulation find. I would put it in pure acetone for about an hour and see if it takes it off. Can we see a pic of the other side?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Handyman

Handyman Well-Known Member

Nice find.

Jason is new likes this.
  6. Jason is new

Jason is new Member

Here it is :)
    IMG_20190831_142539.jpg

7. Jason is new

Jason is new Member

Didnt realize, thanks!

8. Randy Abercrombie

Nickel was required for the war effort. So during the war years these were struck with 35% silver. The large mint mark over Monticello was used to designate the change.

Jason is new likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why do you hold the coin between your fingers when taking the photo? Nobody here is going to steal it if you put it down on a flat surface.

Chris:hilarious:

10. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Nice find!

Circulated
    examples of 35% silver Wartime nickels (1942 - 1945) typically have a "dirty" appearance.

[​IMG]

So I'm guessing your circulated coin was chemically cleaned.

But you rarely find them in circulation because their silver content is worth about $1 and they are easily identified by an oversize mint mark (P = Philadelphia Mint).

Jason is new likes this.
  11. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

12. Jason is new

Jason is new Member

I work as an office clerk in a grocery store. When the cashiers are finished with their shift, i count the money they have and i found it in a till. This was during the summer, June im guessing.

13. Randy Abercrombie

Great American Coin Hunt was in April. Collectors and dealers all over the country put collector coins out into circulation. It was an effort to get more folks interested in coin collecting. It looks like you may be a lucky recipient!

Jason is new likes this.
  14. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I'm guess his lightly circulated coin was recently released from someone's collection. In my experience only the really worn ones get that dirty look.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Maybe, but as mentioned it could be leftover traces from almost anything greenish colored that came into contact with the coin at some point. My personal guess is that it's a tiny bit of verdigris - that's what copper turns into when it corrodes. And the only thing necessary for copper to corrode is air. And since the coin is 56% copper .........

Some folks don't realize it but verdigris isn't only found on 1 cent coins or other copper coins. It's also commonly found on nickels, silver, and even gold coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted