Cheerios dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ryansdaddy1988, Sep 17, 2017.

1. So I ran across this. So what now?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

N[​IMG]eed to see a picture of the reverse of the coin to see if it is a Cheerios coin.
    The picture on the left is the Cheerios coin.

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

You have to check the dollar and make sure it has the engraved tail feathers . Not all the cheerios dollars have it .....

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you should be able to tell if you have the "Cheerios" dollar with the engraved tail feathers if there is a small break on the shoulder of Sacagawea. That way, you won't have to open the package.

Not all of the 5,500 coins that were packaged in the Cheerios boxes had the engraved tail feathers.

Chris

6. cpm9ball

CORRECTION!

I just checked, and the obverse has die polish marks on the shoulder.

Scroll down the page for a close-up of the marker:
    http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page20c.html

Chris

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

8. I was only able to get these. It's a friend of mine. Is it worth taking out the package to look on the back to see if the feathers arewhat I want them to look like so I'm hoping she hit it with this one. I did see some die polish below the P but it may just be wishful thinking

Attached Files:

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

When you see it next check the coin for the Polish line @cpm9ball posted,
    then you wouldn't need to remove it from the packaging.

CORRECTION! I just checked, and the obverse has die polish marks on the shoulder.

Scroll down the page for a close-up of the marker:
    http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page20c.html Chris

Harry Brown and ryansdaddy1988 like this.
  11. cpm9ball

NO! NO! NO! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE IT FROM THE PACKAGING.

See my link in Post #5.

Chris

ryansdaddy1988 likes this.
  12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

if it is the real Cheerios dollar with the center feathers on the tail... you will be rich. those are worth big money now. I found the cent in 1 of the cheerios boxes not worth that much :-( be careful not to get your finger prints on the dollar coin. only fingers on the edge of the coin. if you take it out put it in an airtight plastic container immediately after opening so it will not get scratched, dented, or get finger prints on it. big $$$

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Well I wouldn't take it out of the packaging. More provenance that way, no?

14. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I would have it graded by PCGS or NGC. I think you could probably get more with the certification as authentic "Cheerios" dollar and a grade (which should be Mint State being in the original packaging).

spirityoda and ryansdaddy1988 like this.
  15. cpm9ball

If the coin is one of the "Engraved Tail Feathers" variety, then yes, it would be better to submit it for grading and authentication.

However, if it is not, then it is best to leave it in the original Cheerios packaging because it would still be worth more than an ordinary dollar coin.

Chris

16. Thanks I'll suggest that it gets submitted for grading looks to be in great condition. We were on the porch talking about coins and I mentioned the Cheerios dollar she goes I got one of those in my purse reaches in and pulls it right out.

spirityoda and Endeavor like this.
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

First you determine if it's the extra-detail variety.

18. Endeavor

I should have been a little more clear that I was suggesting to get the coin graded after it was already determined to be the engraved tail feather variety.

I agree if it was determined to not be engraved tail feathers then best to leave it in the original packaging.

19. Endeavor

How funny (and strange?) that she happened to have one in her purse.

ryansdaddy1988 and spirityoda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted