check this out

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by chocho, Feb 20, 2006.

1. chocho

chocho Senior Member

Look at this penny.. was this done before it left the mint? Wouldnt ask but the rim looks smooth, don't look like damage someone did..as in hammer or such. and the rest of the penny looks fine. as in not beat up or ate up like the rim..

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In my opinion - damage.

4. MrSpud

MrSpud Member

It kind of reminds me of a cent I found a while back where someone had filed the edge until the cent was the same size as a dime. I believe it was done in order to fool certain kinds of vending machines into thinking it was a dime. Only this was with older copper pennies, never heard of it being done to a copper plated zinc one before. I suppose it would at least work in a dime bubble gum machine if it was the right size.

5. chocho

chocho Senior Member

weird things people do...[/COLOR]

6. smithrow1

smithrow1 New Member

Looks like damage.

7. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

this might be able to help you out... looks like a cent that i found a while back.

clik me clik me

8. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,
    Definitely damage, It looks like it was on a parking lot for awhile. That is seriously the answer. Having seen many that were run ovwer a few times, these become fairly recognizable.
    Bill

9. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Are those Hummer tracks on it? Looks like a parking lot project to me as well.

10. CoinKid52

CoinKid52 Senior Member

Reminds me of my poor dime here, but that penny was definately damaged after it left the mint. Sorry.

11. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

coinKID....here's a beat penny's worth of free advise....Some of the top coin collecting experts and dealers visit this site so complaining/whining about their assesment of your dime is like telling Tom Brady he doesn't know what a football is and/or how to throw it. Let the dime go and quit linking it into every error thread you go through. Ask questions. Learn something new. Grown in your knowledged about coins....its what this forum is for.

Draft saved Draft deleted