Check out this sandwiched coin 1889 CC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dalladalla80, May 25, 2019.

1. Dalladalla80

Dalladalla80 Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I laughed at this in the description..
    "I am NOT offering ANY type of return because too many people here on Ebay purchase coins only to later complain that something is wrong and then send the wrong coin back and beat the seller out of their coin,I am not going for that so Please keep in mind, NO RETURNS" :hilarious:

4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Good enough to fool quite a few people

5. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Attached Files:

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Cleaned with a wire brush. Too bad was a nice coin

7. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Didn’t sell

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What coin are you looking at? The linked auction was for a raw (and altered) coin...

9. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Sorry but your full of it. Use the link the OP gave. All you have to do then is run the PCGS # from the pic in the Ebay ad.

Observe of 1889 P and reverse of a 82-84 CC
    Interesting example of an old school fake
    I have heard of them before but this is the first example I have ever actually seen

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338461489&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-CC-MORGAN-DOLLAR/264333393069?hash=item3d8b7f7cad:g:rCYAAOSwEJtc5d2N

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There was no reference to PCGS whatsoever. I think you are the one in error here

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Penna_Boy - eBay fooled you. Not so long ago they started directing you to a current auction of a similar coin, not the coin that the link originally sent you to, if the original auction was over. To see the original coin, you have to click on "View Original Item" at upper-right. It took me a few times to catch on to this; and yes, I find it irritating.

Seattlite86 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

To add to the confusion, when I click on the original link, eBay redirects me to this auction for a "pristine" (fresh from China) raw 1880-CC.

13. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

@paddyman98
    Need your help. Out of curiosity, I checked images of what an 1889-P obverse looks like and compared it to the obverses of 82-84-CC. I can't see any difference, but there has to be - for the folks here to spot it so quickly. What is it? (I'm asking out of ignorance and geniune interest, not out of objection or contention.) Always fascinating to learn these things on CoinTalk. Thanks.

14. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

The seller isn't claiming that the coin has an 82-84 CC obverse; he is claiming it is an 1889 CC obverse, when it seems the experts here think it's an 1889 P obverse. I yield to the experts; I'm not one when it comes to Morgans. But you still raise a good point about the obverses: What is the difference between an 1889 P and 1889 CC obverse?

15. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I bet you it's something obvious and I'm gonna smack my forehead when they tell me.

16. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

Until a Morgan expert chimes in, I'll venture that even given the images taken at distance (which should be a huge red flag to begin with), the reverse of the OP coin doesn't match any authentic 1889-CC reverse variety, but matches the reverse variety (or varieties) of the 1882-CC to 1884-CC run. That would be the 2nd red flag.

JeffC likes this.
  17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

“A huge red flag to begin with.”

Yes, any time you bad photography for an Internet offered, PASS. It’s all most always an indicator that the seller is hiding something significant.

buckeye73 and Seattlite86 like this.
  18. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

The date position does not match the far date dies. The linked ebay coin would actually be considered a very far slanted date. Possibly an 1889-P VAM-13 or 63.

buckeye73 and harrync like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted