Check out this little bugger...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by oi!, Mar 29, 2015.

1. oi!

oi! Member

Found it in a proof set today. Sure wish it was in better shape, though.

Attached Files:

19Lyds, coop, KurtS and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Great Find! That's a nice one.

4. oi!

oi! Member

Thanks Tom. I love the 1970 proof sets

5. tomfiggy

Where do you find them?

6. oi!

oi! Member

I bought this one from a local dealer. I was stunned that this slipped by. Maybe some dealers don't pick through their own stuff when they get them. I don't know. I'm just happy it settled in my collection after 45 years of floating around out there

7. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I'm no expert on Lincoln cents, but it appears to be a DDO--and it's a small date as well! :D I can't find a listing for this one...maybe Coop will know?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. oi!

oi! Member

I'm having trouble finding it too. If anybody knows, it'll be someone on this forum.

9. oi!

oi! Member

How about DDO-012? Calls for a small die chip underneath the left leg of the N in UNITED. Not sure if those two little marks are die chips but this seems to be the best candidate out of the known listings

Attached Files:

10. oi!

oi! Member

I feel fairly certain that it's DDO-012 after a little more research

11. KurtS

But DDO-012 is a non-proof large date--and your proof is a small date. I'm pretty certain about that--I've cherrypicked quite a few of these. :)

12. oi!

oi! Member

This is what I see for DDO-012:

Designation:

PR-12-O-II-E
    Description:
    Medium spread on LIBERTY with light spread on date and very light spread on TRUST
    Grade:
    PR65
    Population:
    Markers:
    Obverse is ODV-026 (Small date)
    UVC-2262
    DMR-021
    Stage A:
    Obverse and Reverse are EDS
    Stage B:
    Obverse is MDS
    Small die chip under the Left leg of the N of UNITED – MDS
    Stage C:
    LDS (unconfirmed)
    Reported by:
    Dennis Campbell

13. tomfiggy

How much do they sell for? The proof set I mean.

14. oi!

oi! Member

I think 8.50 is pretty standard

15. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Yep, small date. I've been looking for one in circulation for ages now, and still haven't found one. Nice find though! Did they sell it as a small date set or just as a regular run of the mill 70 proof set?

16. coop

coop Senior Member

It is a small date doubled die. I didn't see a listing for it on coppercoins or in Wexlers blue book. But he has other ones not in that publication. Very nice find!

KurtS likes this.
  17. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Most do not even bother to check for the Small Date or No MM Dimes...so I'm not at all surprised that you were able to cherrypick this DDO. Nice work!

18. KurtS

Yeah...congrats on your find!!! That means it's also worth more than the standard small date proof! :D

19. oi!

oi! Member

It was sold just as a regular proof set. I didn't notice it was a small date until I got it home and under some magnification.

I'm new at interpreting the Coneca listings but am I way off in thinking this is the DDO-012?

20. oi!

oi! Member

Hate to bring up an old thread but it's driving me nuts wondering if I'm wrong on this being the DDO-012. Like I said, I'm new at using the CONECA master listings. Was (or is) anybody able to figure out what this is? Thanks in advance.

21. coop

coop Senior Member

Probably need to check for the marker first:
    Stage A:Die gouge under lapel – EDS
    When there are no images, it makes it hard to tell. Just the marker and the description. The Wexler book shows images of his dies, but is not a complete listing for his dies. I know who submitted the coin. I'll see if he can help us out. I'll send him an email for the site for this thread and see what he thinks.

Draft saved Draft deleted