Featured Check Out These Full Reverse Indents...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Dec 18, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Full reverse indent (two of them actually). How'd it happen? A second cent planchet was directly on top of this one in the collar when the dies struck. Notice how smooth the surface pattern is. As is common, look how designs from both sides have indirectly transferred into it.

1961 1c full indent OBV.jpg 1961 1c full indent REV.jpg 1963 D 1c Full rev Indent OBV.jpg 1963 D 1c full rev indent rev.jpg

Now look at the full reverse indent on this nickel. Notice the surface pattern appears textured - not smooth like the cents - but it is not a split planchet; it weighs 5.0 grams, the standard weight for a nickel.

1974 D 5c strk thru spli plncht obv.jpg 1974 D 5c strk thru spli plncht rev.jpg

I believe this was caused by the textured, striated side of a split planchet being hammered into the reverse side of this nickel. The label implies it is simply the result of "two coins struck together." Clearly there is enough room to state it's a "Full Reverse Indent from a Split Planchet." It makes a big difference here so I don't understand why NGC couldn't get this right and be specific.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCro57

and a dime one - not struck through a split planchet

2003 D 10c Full Uniface OBV.JPG 2003 D 10c Full Uniface REV2.JPG

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I think you're well on your way to catching up to @paddyman98.........

Well, maybe not! ;)

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

THE '61 Cent and the 03-D Dime are both what
    I would call 'uniface strikes' - two planchets were
    fully seated into the collar when struck.

(leaving one coin with a uniface obverse, and the
    other coin with a uniface reverse)

To me, an Indent is a less than whole planchet
    laying over the unstuck planchet in the collar,
    when the dies come together.

Just my two cents worth -

buckeye73, Stevearino, ldhair and 4 others like this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Do you mind weighing in on whether you think these were struck through split planchets? I'm skeptical of this claim and suspect them to be struck through whole planchets. How would one know the difference?

7. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Could these be struck by a capped die? If not, what would that look like?

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

This is a good educational thread for those people who come to the forums claiming they have a coin struck on just one side, and they actually have a coin that has been ground off on one side. These images show what a true "one sided" coin should look like. The "blank" side is NOT flat and smooth.

JCro57, Paul M., buckeye73 and 2 others like this.
  9. JCro57

The difference in texture is key here. Both cents have smooth surfaces compared to the nickel which looks jagged and textured. A complete planchet wouldn't leave the surface like that

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted