Check my collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mukremin, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

I am no coin expert! Just one who enjoys Islamic inscriptions and coins. Especially pre-modern ones. But I will take a look, and in the meanwhile, if a real expert does show up, I hope they will dive in.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

zuhara, have you figured it out? and do you have an indication on value?

4. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

sorry for double post, i forgot to upload another possible arabic, maybe abbasid coin. it looks like the abbasid, but it could be gaznavid coin also.

Attached Files:

5. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

Hi Mukremin, I am just looking at your coins now. The reverse has the name of the caliph al-Ta'i (363-381/974-991) as posted above. The obverse appears to have "Abu Shuja" on the 5th line, which was a kunya of the Buyid ruler Adud al-Dawla (d. 372) If so, the coin would be a Buyid coin of Adud al-Dawla. I would be happier about this if I could actually see the name. Unfortunately, the other relevant lines I can't make out.

The mint name and the date also don't seem legible to me. They should appear after the bismilllah of the inner marginal inscription, beginning at 11:00 on the obverse. I can perhaps make out the year "300" (thelath mi'at) at 1:00-12:00 here, but nothing else.

Luke Treadwell's Buyid Coinage might help and you might try posting this picture in the World Coinage part of cointalk where there are experts who might be able to help you more.

Will look at your other coins now. I have no idea about value, sorry.

6. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

Your 3rd coin mentions 'Ali so not likely Ghaznavid :). Looks Mongol, maybe Uljaitu during his Shi'ite phase? I will go check now.

7. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

yes, third coin appears to be a Mongol coin of Uljaitu (1304-1316/703-716). The Shi'ite kalima is on the obverse (with 'Ali wali Allah) on last line. Reverse looks like Uljaitu's name on the second line from the bottom. Unfortunately, the mint and date are not visible.

Here is a great site for Turkish coins with lots of coins of Uljaitu including transcriptions. Unfortunately, the Arabic transcriptions come out left to right like in English on the computer, but it is the best site ever otherwise.

http://mehmeteti.150m.com/ilkhanids/olcaytu-1.htm

8. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

heres another set of arabic,indian or mongol coins. help please :hail:

zuhara- the first 2 pictures seems similair to the other mongol coins. perhaps this is ilkhanate to? the other looks like gaznavid, i could be mistaken again.

Attached Files:

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The nazi 2 RM coins are silver (Ag 625), and so are the 5 RM pieces (Ag 900). There are no gold coins from Nazi Germany, so yours may be gold-plated by some third party.

As for the British, French and Italian coins you showed here, they seems to be polished. And while some here seem to believe that is OK or common in Europe, the money you would get for these (if you tried to sell them here) would tell you otherwise.

And yes, if a coin has a hole - one that the mint did not put there, that is :) - that will affect the value. But as you wrote, sometimes such coins are primarily interesting because of the stories behind them ...

Christian

10. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

thanks for the information Christian, does the value drop like a stone? or does it still maintain a respectable value even with a hole? i hear someone say that if its a coin with a value of 120 dollars, and it has a hole in it then it drops to like 10 dollars? is that true? because i was about to sell some holed coins to him, maybe he did it on purpose to buy it very cheap from me?

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Usually such a hole will indeed reduce the value of coin quite dramatically. That is certainly true for the coins I primarily collect (late 20c/early 21c Europe and US). But I think it applies to all pieces, except those maybe that are very rare anyway.

Christian

12. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

hmm thats sad, but still the history behind is more important to me. He wanted to buy hole ottoman coins from the late 18th and 19 century

Draft saved Draft deleted