Cheapest way to send single slab insured?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Would it be priority mail or 1st class? Need to insure for $250.

If "priority", I guess a flat rate box would be better than the envelope for the protection factor?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I just sent one in a regular envelope, with cardboard insured.
    The Priority envelope minimum is over $5.75- includes $50 insurance, and tracking.
    Small box $5.95. with above.

Additional insurance is $4.60, it is over $10.

I spent about $5.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

For one or two slabs, I usually use a priority envelope with the slab in one of those fold over sticky corrugated inserts.

5. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Why single ? I would say sending a single piece would be cheaper is Flat Rate small envelope. I am also think there would be cheaper to ship it in a bubble envelope with a confirmation. Again all depend on what and how much you are shipping.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Last time I checked, it was still possible to buy postage via PayPal even if it's not an eBay transaction. It sticks in my mind that that offers a slight discount, and of course it's more convenient than going to the Post Office. To be honest, though, I don't remember what the arrangement is for insurance -- whether you can still schedule a home pickup, or whether you have to drop it at a PO.

7. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

The BIG difference in price comes from sending as a non-machinable LETTER or a regular PARCEL. Slabs are too thick to ever send as any kind of letter, so that's OUT. Flat-rate is convenient, but it's not priced for the consumer's benefit. That doesn't leave you many choices.

8. doug5353

I offered discount postage HERE several times, and never sold a dime's worth - discounts from 15% to 20% from face value, full gum, in the most convenient denominations.

9. Treashunt

Not really out, I did it, just packaged it within cardboard, and there is a small additional fee since the envelope is rigid.

10. Treashunt

20%? I missed your post.

:)

11. doug5353

The maximum thickness for a non-machinable letter is 1/4 inch, and the maximum weight is 3.5 ounces.

If the clerk accepts it, they don't know the regs; the corner also has to fit within the shaded area on the template, and it has to pass through a 1/4 inch slit in the template.

I just mailed 7 quarter-sized coins as a letter, inside a cardboard mailer, no problem. But no slabs, each of the 7 in a manila 2 x 2 taped to a piece of paper to keep them from sliding around.

Non-machinable letter:
    49c for the first ounce, 22c for each additional ounce, max weight 3.5 ounces, dimension limits as stated above, 22c for non-machinable fee. A good idea to write "non-machinable letter" on the mailer or envelope, so they don't try to run it through the cancelling machine.

Do NOT use a regular envelope, it will not survive, even if the postage is correct. "Might" survive sending one dime or one nickel, but the cardboard protection often, in turn, makes it non-machinable, so start with a 5x8 cardboard mailer (cost 22c in quantity) and weighs about 0.9 ounce by itself, so you're talking a minimum of:
    49c 1st ounce + 22c 2nd ounce + 22c non-machinable fee = 93c,
    still much cheaper than a similar "parcel."

Sending as a package costs about double those amounts.

All this has nothing to do with insurance or what it costs. You can insure either way, same price.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    mralexanderb likes this.
  12. doug5353

SB Non-Machinable.jpg

Here's one going out this morning, to Denmark, with an eBay item. Note the upper right corner fits (barely) within the shaded area, and the width and height are also in compliance, and it will pass through the slot. I assure you this is much cheaper than a "parcel".

13. doug5353

The item sold, by the way, was 10 old picture postcards of Denmark. That bumped right up against the 3.5 ounce limit, and I had to secure them as two stacks of 5 cards, side by side, to meet the thickness requirement. But all in a day's work, saved at least $2.

14. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

So @doug5353, sorry I'm a little slow this morning... but what is the cheapest way for me to send a slabbed coin? I've read this thread multiple times and can't see it.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Package coin in a Saf-t-mailer (sticky corrugated cardboard mailer), tape it to the inside of a bubble mailer, add 3 ounce package postage from PayPal. $2.04 plus supplies. Add signature confirmation or insurance if you want.

16. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

If you plan on doing this many times, look into ship and insure. You will save in insurance in the long run. Priority is only .28/c per $100 bucks.

17. doug5353

Dougmeister, I don't think there's any way to "save," other than to use discount postage. I think without a doubt it will be a parcel.

If you have Hugh Woods or C.I.Agency coin insurance, you may not need postal insurance, but watch out for the deductible as well as the tracking requirements.

For something smallish like a slab, discount postage doesn't work very well, because you don't have a lot of space to put stamps, which tend to be 15c (or lower) denominations. The larger the denomination, the smaller the discount in the marketplace. For $1 stamps, for instance, maybe only 7% to 10% discount; for 5c stamps, maybe 30% discount. I've been mailing at a discount for 40+ years, so I never give it a thought, also because as a stamp collector, there are invariably some stamps (in large lots) that I can sell as philatelic items, over face value, which in effect reduces my acquisition costs even further.

18. EasyE418

Hugh Woods = Registered only.
    Ship and Insure = numerous options. Cheap and easy.

19. messydesk

I have Hugh Wood insurance. Limits and deductible depend on the policy, but you can use Priority with Signature, Registered, or Express Mail. FedEx is also covered, but they raise the deductible and lower the limit if you ship over a weekend.

20. EasyE418

Hmm.. I didn't know you could ship Priority with Hugh Wood. Interesting.. Still think Ship and Insure is better.

21. messydesk

Ship 'n' Insure is better for occasional, lower value shipping. Hugh Wood is better if you're constantly shipping stuff. It also covers coins in your possession when they're not being shipped.

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted