Cheap vs. Fancy Caliper Shoot-out

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

So back in the fall I bought a nice pair of "EZ-Cal" digital calipers for about $27. A few months later I saw some cheap Malaysian-made plastic calipers on eBay for $0.75 each and thought I'd buy 2-3 to have around the house/office just in case I wanted to get a quick reading and didn't have my fancy calipers to hand. Today I thought I'd see how close they were. The answer is: pretty darn close.

IMG_7482.JPG

IMG_7483.JPG

I do like the heft and large digital readout of the nice calipers. But the moral of the story is, if you have 75 cents, you can get a pair of calipers that are probably adequate for most amateur collectors.

Here's the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112251897059?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

BTW, on an unrelated note, I got this digital scale for under $10 and am happy with it. Again, more demanding collectors or dealers might want something nicer, but once I bought the appropriate calibrating weight, it's worked very well for my needs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IXHSPDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have never used a caliper, not even a digital version. But I can't even make sense of your plastic caliper! How do you read that thing? :(

4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I also recently bought calipers. I bought two kinds.

"6 Inch Carbon Fiber Composite Vernier Digital Caliper Ruler With Big Screen" for $9 from Amazon and "iGaging 8" Digital Outside Calipers" for $26.

The $9 calipers are very convenient. I am now recording the diameter of my coin to 1/10 of a millimeter. Because they are carbon fiber I feel they don't scratch coins. The downside is that I chose this caliper because it promised to include a depth gauge, but didn't.

I can't give a full review of the $9 calipers until the battery wears out and I have replaced it.

The $26 outside calipers are not convenient to take the diameter of coins. Their only use is to take the thickness of cupped scyphate coins. The outside calipers I chose are also accurate to 1/10 mm. I have only been using them for very thin coins, and it is somewhat frustrating to have all of my coins at .3 or .4mm.

Pellinore and Paul M. like this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I just bought one, thanks for the heads up. 99cents shipped to Australia, I don't know how they do it.....:D

6. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I've always used a mm ruler, now I want something I didn't know I wanted just a minute ago.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have been using these Digital Calipers for several years: Engineering work, product development, competitive analysis, factory floor QA, etc. etc. Been trusty and true for me... Works well on my coins. I am also very used to and careful how I measure, so I do not worry about scratching or damaging...

Calipers.JPG

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks to me like it is reading 25mm which is 1.5mm less than the reading from the digital calipers. Hmmm! For some of my medals that are 50-75mm, it would mean the reading would be off by 3-4.5mm. No thanks! I'll stick to the digital calipers I bought through the ANA for $10 back in 2005. I've only replaced the battery once.

Chris

9. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

one problem with the plastic ones is how are they calibrated? Not that I worry about calibrating my digital model; but it was calibrated before I got it. I would expect that the plastic ones would wear out or start to have other issues versus a decent digital caliper.

10. Gavin Richardson

Well, maybe *I'm* using the calipers incorrectly and have just cost Ancient Aussie 99 cents. Am I supposed to be looking at the edge of the bottom slide (POINT 1) or the "0" point of the bottom slide (POINT 2)?

I think I need a manual calipers tutorial.

This is what happens when English professors try to do math. Screenshot 2017-04-16 19.34.36.png

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have a set of metal calipers I used in science classes long ago but a plastic mm ruler is more than enough for coin diameters. When I collected early stamps and was interested in fine measurements for position plating I photographed a very accurate metal mm scale on litho film at a very precise 1:10 ratio giving me a good scale that could be overlaid on a stamp and give good results. I still see no need for measurements that fine on coins because of the extreme variance you get from coin to coin. Overheated die expansion would even make measurements across a diameter enough that he last digit would not be significant.

Vernier calipers work like this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale
    [​IMG]

I guess CT s/w won't allow moving in a gif?

12. Ancient Aussie

I am pretty sure it is point 2 (the 0 mark). I haven't seen too many where it uses the cut out edge. But check your book any way if I am wrong I will send you a 99c invoice...:D

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

From the zero if they line up when its fully closed

Gavin Richardson and Alegandron like this.
  14. Alegandron

When you close it, the zero points match up... 0-0. That is the reading point: 0

Ajax and Gavin Richardson like this.
  15. Gavin Richardson

Well, here are the cheapo calipers closed. The way I read them, these calipers show the O mark between the 26 and 27 mm. point, which seemed surprisingly close to the digital readout. But caveat emptor. I wouldn't use these for professional precision. But for an office spare, they were worth 75 cents to me. I will await Ancient Aussie's invoice. I hope a personal check is OK.

FullSizeRender.jpg

16. Alegandron

LOL, no, it is the FIRST 0's...actually, to the LEFT all FOUR 0's line up...

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Gavin Richardson

Yes, I understand that. With my comment on the 26-27 measurement, I was referring the original measurements taken above, not the closed calipers.

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Ancient Aussie

Even if they are within half a mm, that is close enough for me, as a sheet-metal worker years ago, I always took pride in working within half a mm tolerance. Gee-wizz if you measure an ancient coin across diameter in a few places you will get different measurements any way. :rolleyes:

Pellinore and Gavin Richardson like this.
  19. Alegandron

LOL, ok, cool! I was looking at your pic thinking... "he MISSED all those zeros!" All's well! :)

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  20. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

that's why you takes the widest and smallest measurements...I always record the smaller number first, like 17x19mm

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Gavin Richardson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted