Cheap Coin Photography

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ikandiggit, Jun 18, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

There was this thread a little while back: Medals from the French Mint

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Krispy, Thanks for posting the link. Did you buy the NYC medal?

The link is educational for me as it shows some improvement in image quality over time.
    In a different thread, after I changed the setup, I got much better pictures.
    If I can figure out how to search the CT links I started I'll post the link.

All of the pictured were taken w/ an old P/S camera.

4. richarrb

richarrb Junior Member

Great information, I have been trying to take decent pictures now but to embarrassed to post them. With your tips I can't wait to try them when I get home. Thanks!

5. krispy

krispy krispy

I haven't yet. It's been on my wish list since then. I've been busy with watching + buying bullion in the last few weeks. I'll get to it eventually. Gotta have one of those magnificent pieces!

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

The following pics are of a larger coin and were taken using one light source, a desk lamp (60 watt bulb). Trying to keep the camera level, I just moved back and forth until the reflections and glare were at a minimum.

This is a coin out of my pocket. Notice how nicely the fingerprint stands out.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

Thanks for the info on the camera setup. I really need the help because I am going to start taking pics of my collection. Thanks for the great post.

8. eatranman

eatranman Member

thanks for all the ideas. I just started collecting in Feb of this year and have extra coin I want to sell online but all of my pictures are very poor by what I have seen hear. Will try all I have read hear then post some test pictures for everyones input.

9. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

+1

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

How did you position the light, and how was the lighting in the room when you took the picture?

11. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

There was an overhead ceiling lamp behind my right shoulder but the main light was a desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb. That's it. Sometimes, depending on what detail I'm trying to show, I might use a white piece of paper to bounce the light into that area.

Draft saved Draft deleted