ChatGPT and collectible coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by micbraun, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Robert Epstein, a psychologist I really have enjoyed reading the works of, called the way search engines manipulate the mind 'Search Engine Manipulation Effect' - he believed it could have had serious implications in politics and education when the study was first conducted in 2015.

Just at the end of 2022, he published another FANTASTIC work about the "Answer Bot Effect" (ABE)

Once I read the study - it became apparent it is much more dangerous and capable of perpetuating false information than ANYTHING the world has ever seen before. People have unfettered faith in algorithms, it's a part of the psychology Epstein is looking to investigate. "Answer bots" like ChatGPT, and to a lesser extent, Alexa, Siri, and Cortana, do the thinking FOR you... At least with biased search engines (which operate for financial gain through ad placements) you can skip the garbage by going past the first page or two...

It is scary now... It just hasn't fully impacted your generation the way it has mine :(
    Brains will only continue to rot away :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. numist

numist Member

I guess it's been about two weeks since I engaged it. When I asked if it was permissible to clean a coin it gave me instructions including the use of a soap, water and a brush!

micbraun likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

To be fair, that's been happening since we started lazily writing things down and then reading them, instead of MEMORIZING them like the ancestors did. "Written language: threat or menace?"

Evan Saltis likes this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Correct, but at least with a search engine / written word you have the option of interpreting the information for yourself.

"Answer bots" do the interpreting and rationalization FOR you.

your comment is true, but doesn't quite compare to the answer bots.

6. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Q: How many large cents were minted in 1799?

A: In 1799, the United States Mint produced large cents with two different design types. The first type, known as the "1799/8 overdate," features the date 1799 over an underlying 1798 date. The second type, known as the "Normal Date" or "1799 Plain Date," features just the date 1799.

The total mintage for large cents in 1799 was 904,885 coins, with the majority being the Normal Date variety. Specifically, the mintage numbers for each variety were:

• 1799/8 overdate: 42,540
    • 1799 Normal Date: 862,345
    It's worth noting that these mintage numbers are for all large cents produced in 1799, and not just those in circulated condition. Many of these coins were likely lost, melted down, or otherwise destroyed over time, making them scarcer and potentially more valuable to collectors today.

I'm genuinely impressed that it gets the correct mintage figure for 1799, even if it fails to mention most of that 904k mintage was dated 1798.

Draft saved Draft deleted