Charlotte Gold - Sole pick up at Baltimore Show

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by charlottedude, Jun 20, 2010.

1. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

I was only able to make the show for a couple of hours on Saturday morning although I already had a certain coin in mind that a dealer, who I knew would attend, had in his inventory. It was only a matter of getting to a price that was agreeable, (and ignoring the lighting issues the convention center was having). The target was an 1852-C Quarter Eagle in a PCGS AU-50 holder. This date frequently comes with a mushy obverse and reverse strike in the center areas - original mintage: 9,772. Suffice it to say that the obverse on this one has pretty much all of its detail there, with some weakness prevailing on the reverse eagle. It ranks 8th in overall rarity in the Charlotte QE series, with an estimated 115 - 140 extant. I'm diggin' it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also pulled an old friend out of the safety deposit box for a re-imaging job.
    1842-C QE PCGS XF-40 Mintage: 6,729 Estimated extant: 100-125 - ranking it 4th in overall Charlotte QE rarity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

c'dude

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Congrats on the new purchase. Gotta love the early branch mint gold.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I would be quite happy if that were my only purchase. That is a fantastic coin!

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Beautiful QE, C-Dude! A coin like that would make my day.... week..... year! :D

7. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

That's got a great strike, and looks all there for the grade. Nice pickup!

8. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

I was at Baltimore also and only made a single coin purchase. Sometimes the ones we don't buy are our best decisions. I know nothing about early gold but your purchase looks very nice to me. Enjoy it!

9. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Wow, not a whole lot of them in existence. Very nice coins, and if you were gonna get one coin at the show, why not that one!? ;)

10. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

Here's a bit better shot of the obverse... more indicative of the coin's color in hand.

[​IMG]

'dude

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Has that nice green-gold look of original So. gold

Draft saved Draft deleted