Charles II milled crowns

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jamesicus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

My first posting in this section.

TWO CHARLES II MILLED SILVER CROWNS
    Attribution Reference:
    A review of the coinage of Charles II
    (A British Numismatic Society PDF)

An early (initial) 1662 issue

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    CAROLVS·II·DEI·GRA ....................................
    MAG·BR·FRA·ET·HIB·REX·1662
    (Charles by the Grace of God) ...............................(King of Great Britain, France and Ireland)

Obverse depiction: Draped laureate bust with Rose below (signifying minted using native silver from western England).

Reverse depiction: Four crowned shields, cruciform, the top bearing the arms of England and France quartered, the right bearing the arms of Scotland, the bottom bearing the arms of England and France quartered and the left bearing the arms of Ireland. In the angles formed by adjoining shields are two intertwined C's. At the center is the Star of the Garter.

Edge Inscription: * + * DECVS ET TVTAMEN
    (An Ornament and a Safeguard) {to deter edge clipping}

Diameter: 40mm (initial issues large flan)

Weight: 29.57gm

1671 Issue

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    CAROLVS·II·DEI·GRATIA .......................... MAG·BR·FRA·ET·HIB·REX·16(71)
    (Charles by the Grace of God) ........................... (King of Great Britain, France and Ireland)

Obverse depiction: Draped laureate bust.

Reverse depiction: Four crowned shields, cruciform, the top bearing the arms of England, the right bearing the arms of Scotland, the bottom bearing the arms of France and the left bearing the arms of Ireland. In the angles formed by adjoining shields are two intertwined C's. At the center is the Star of the Garter.

Edge Inscription: * + * · DECVS · ET · TVTAMEN · ANNO · REGNI · VICESIMO · TERTIO
    (An Ornament and a Safeguard) {to deter edge clipping} - followed by date of minting information.

Diameter: 38mm (diameter reduction from initial issues).

Weight: 29.58gm (flan thickness increased slightly to maintain weight of silver content).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    lordmarcovan, Seba79, jgenn and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

I also have some 1662s in my collection, with and without rose. When I type collect world crowns it's nice to get an example of a "first". The 1662 is the first milled Kingdom of England crown. The Cromwell crown was milled earlier but that was under the Commonwealth of England.

Draft saved Draft deleted