Charles I sixpence

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by BargainHunterCoins, Apr 25, 2016.

1. BargainHunterCoins

BargainHunterCoins New Member

Bought this Charles I sixpence along with the James I posted earlier. Is there a more precise way to date these? 1.jpg 2.jpg

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I also wonder what year British coins started being dated and to having denomination stated on the coin.

4. BargainHunterCoins

BargainHunterCoins New Member

I think Elizabeth I was the first to date them, denominations came much later, I think 1800's, possibly even 1900's.

5. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

mint mark anchor 1638-1639

6. SwK

SwK Junior Member

The Earliest Dated English Coin: the 1513 Tournai Groat

Henry 8th capture Tournai in France 1513. The Earliest Dated English Coin was the 1513 Tournai Groat

The earliestExceptionally Rarecoin dated 1513. Struck in the name of an English monarchHenry 8.TheTournai Groat(gros or 4d) struck subsequent to the capture of the town in September 1513 from France. It remained under English control until October 1518 when Tournai was returned to France on the payment of 600’000 crowns. The earliest dated English coin was previously considered to be the 1547 (MDXLVII) dated pattern shillings of Edward VI.

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That one has the denomination, VI or 6 pence.

8. SwK

SwK Junior Member

4d (4 pence)

9. SwK

SwK Junior Member

1513_groat_b.jpg
    1513 dated in top reverse ledgend

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I was referring to the OP's coin, not the previous post which appeared while I was replying.

Draft saved Draft deleted