"Charity" type of program for coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BostonCoins, Dec 15, 2017.

1. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! Where it is the holiday season, many find the desire to donate something to groups, charities or people in need.

Out of the blue, a thought came to me. What if there was a 'charity' or 'scholarship' type of program for coins? Here is how it plays out in my head.

First, the group elects someone (perhaps several people) to be the 'keeper' and 'organizer' of the donated material.

Second, a decision (by discussion or vote) is made where the group decides what will be worked on. Perhaps it's a complete Whitman Lincoln Cent series (not graded). Perhaps it's a Roosevelt book. What ever it may be.

Third - Group members can donate what ever coins they would like (perhaps they are just extras) to help complete the set.

Lastly, through discussion, suggestions or voting, the group decides who the worthy recipient of this collection would be. I would think it would be some young collector.

I think it would be a great way for all of us collectors to give back to the community, and encourage young collectors to get into the hobby.

What do you think? Am I just being mental?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

Love it. Suggest that perhaps the sets be kept by community members teachers, social workers, local libraries, etc. and groups of kids get to share in the building of the set, THEN each additional coin that gets added by awarded to an individual kid and put in the set, and the set be on public display, the coin stated as being on loan to the display, owned by said kid. That way there is a sense of belonging to a group effort, also of individual ownership of the individual coins. After a certain length of time, the sets come off display and the individual coins go to the kids' personal collections. As each coin is donated to building the set, the kid who it is awarded to gets to put it in the Whitman folder or whatever. Just off the top of my head. Any help administratively I can offer, and or Internet skills and or resources, I can host a site for free, I can offer free programming work and web administration, I'm also a great press release writer, AND... I'm retired, so I have the time. Give me a yell if you want to pursue this. Or, just sign me up as a yes. I will also seed the mine right here with a donation of a 2017 American Silver Eagle MS69 First Strike PCGS. Just let me know where to send it when you get this going. You might wanna make it a 501C3 charity, do we have a retired LAWYER in the forum?

4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

The recipient might be an individual or it might be a school or something like that. And I've got a bunch of wheaties I would be happy to part with. Perhaps there would be several projects running at once.

We have some lawyers here. Don't know if they're retired or not; but, what do you think the lawyer would be doing besides drawing up simple agreements, perhaps some waivers? I suppose there might be some tax consequences/benefits, depending on where the charity is given. Might need an accountant more than a lawyer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  5. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

6. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

If they are doing good work, why reinvent the wheel? We could give to them.

7. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Well, they're just in one state, I believe. Worthy of a National effort, no?

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

I meant just to do the initial 501C3 set up... You're right about an accountant. Afer that it's a lot of correspondence, vetting, drumming up support and participation.

LaCointessa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted